Jerry Lambert (jockey)
Jerry Lambert accomplished what Breeders' Cup Inc. calls "one of California’s top racing achievements" when he rode Native Diver to victory in three straight Hollywood Gold Cups from 1965 through 1967.
In 1963, Lambert was the leading jockey at Ak-Sar-Ben Racetrack meet in Omaha, Nebraska, as well as at Turf Paradise Race Course meet that same year. In 1967 he won a riding title at Del Mar Racetrack, then in 1968 at Santa Anita Park and at the Oak Tree Racing Association meet in 1972.
In the June 3, 1972 Vanity Handicap at Hollywood Park Racetrack, Jerry Lambert rode Convenience to a half-length victory over the heavily favored Typecast who had easily beaten Convenience by six lengths in the May 18 Milady Handicap on the same track. Those results prompted owners Leonard Lavin and Fletcher Jones to agree to a $250,000 winner-take-all event match race that would be the richest match race at that point in American history. On June 17, 1972, in front of 53,575 patrons at Hollywood Park Racetrack, Jerry Lambert and Convenience won by a head over the favored Typecast. In a quirk of racing fate, just one week later Lambert rode Typecast to a victory over Shoemaker and Cougar in the Hollywood Invitational Turf Handicap.
In 1971, Jerry Lambert was voted the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, given to the thoroughbred jockey in North America who demonstrates high standards of personal and professional conduct, on and off the racetrack.
Retired, in later years Lambert helps break horses for Rich and Gaby Sulpizio's Magali Farms in Santa Ynez, California. On October 2, 2009, the HRTV show "Inside Information" profiled and interviewed Jerry Lambert at Magali Farms. He died 2-23-2015, aged 74. Lacey Rene Lambert, his daughter survives her father Jerry Lewis Lambert
- Hovdey, Jay (2015-02-26). "Hovdey: Lambert and horses were on same wavelength". Daily Racing Form.
- National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame
- Breeders’ Cup.com – June 23, 2007
- Ak-Sar-Ben Horse Racing History
- 2010-2011 Turf Paradise Media Guide, p.5
- Del Mar media guide
- Santa Anita Park Media Guide
- Oak Tree Racing Association 2010 Media Guide, p. 26
- "The Prescott Courier - Google News Archive Search". google.com. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- Hollywood Park history
- "The Montreal Gazette - Google News Archive Search". google.com. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- Hollywood Park – Jockey bios (PDF)
- Del Mar's Leading Jockeys By Stakes Victories
- "The Press-Courier - Google News Archive Search". google.com. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- HRTV "Inside Information" - October 2, 2009
- "Former jockey Lambert dies at 74". drf.com. Retrieved 22 June 2016.