Jerry P. Lanier
|United States Ambassador to Sudan|
Assumed office |
May 13, 2014
|Preceded by||Joseph Stafford (Acting)|
|Coordinator for Counterterrorism|
December 12, 2012 – February 18, 2014
|Preceded by||Daniel Benjamin|
|Succeeded by||Tina Kaidanow|
|United States Ambassador to Uganda|
January 24, 2010 – June 11, 2012
|Preceded by||Steven Browning|
|Succeeded by||Scott DeLisi|
|Born||1952 (age 65–66)|
University of North Carolina, Pembroke|
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Jerry P. Lanier is the acting U.S. Ambassador to Sudan he has been in this position since May, 13, 2014. He was the Acting Coordinator for Counterterrorism in the Bureau of Counterterrorism, at the Department of State from December 2012 to February 2014. He is a former Ambassador from the United States of America to the Republic of Uganda.
He is a career diplomat with the Department of State.
A career diplomat, Jerry P. Lanier held numerous positions within the State Department prior to assignment in Kampala. Lanier joined the State Department in 1983, and his first assignment was to Embassy of the United States of America to the Republic of the Philippines in Manila. From 1986-1989 he served as a Political Officer in Kenya, and then traveled to Washington, D.C. to serve as Special Assistant to Assistant Secretary for African Affairs. From 1990 to 1992 he served as Desk Officer for the Republic of Korea, before transferring to Bangkok, Thailand from 1993 to 1997. He spent several years back in Washington, D.C. services as Deputy Director for the Office of West African Affairs and as a Legislative Management Officer for Africa.
From 2001 to 2002 he worked out of Eagle Base in Tuzla, Bosnia as a Political Advisor to the Commander of U.S. forces. From 2002 to 2003 he was Deputy Director for the Office of Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh Affairs. From 2003 to 2006 he was the Deputy Chief of Mission to the United States Embassy in Accra, Ghana, and was later Director of the Office of Regional and Security Affairs in the Bureau of African Affairs (AF/RSA), which coordinates security, counterterrorism and peacekeeping operations in Africa. He joined as a Foreign Policy Advisor to United States Africa Command in Stuttgart, Germany in 2007.
- "Jerry P. Lanier". Department of State. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Jerry P. Lanier, Ambassador to the Republic of Uganda". United States Department of State. Archived from the original on 2 May 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Jerry P. Lanier". United States Africa Command. Archived from the original on 7 February 2009. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts". WhiteHouse.gov. 19 June 2009. Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Panel Discussion: "Responses to the Challenges of War, Political Violence, and Terrorism in the 21st Century"". United States Department of State (archive). 26 April 2007. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "TRANSCRIPT: U.S. AFRICOM's Foreign Policy Advisor Speaks at Reconstruction and Stabilization Conference". United States Africa Command. 18 February 2009. Archived from the original on 17 July 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
| United States Ambassador to Uganda
| Coordinator for Counterterrorism
| United States Ambassador to Sudan