Jesus (1973 film)
Malayalam: ജീസസ്സ് , Tamil: ஜேசச்
|Directed by||P. A. Thomas|
|Written by||Thomas Pictures Unit|
|Screenplay by||P. A. Thomas|
M. N. Nambiar
K. P. Ummar
V. N. Ramaswamy
|Music by||M. S. Viswanathan|
|Distributed by||Thirumeni Pictures|
|Budget||₹1 million (US$16,000)|
|Box office||₹11.6 million (US$180,000)|
Jesus is a 1973 Malayalam language film (also dubbed into Tamil language) directed by P. A. Thomas and starring Murali Das, Gemini Ganesan, Jayabharathi, Jayalalitha, Thikkurissy, M. N. Nambiar, K. P. Ummar, Jose Prakash, Bahadoor, V. K. Ramasamy.
King Herod has ruled Judea for over 37 years and believes himself to be supreme. When three wise men from the Far East come to visit him, he is initially pleased, but this pleasure turns to anger when he finds out that they have traveled all the way to witness the birth of the son of God. After they depart, he instructs his Prime Minister to kill all children under the age of 2 years. Herod's instructions are carried out, but they don't find the baby Jesus, born in a stable in Bethlehem. Jesus, son of Joseph and virgin Mary, has been destined to lead mankind to a better path but must face many challenges, temptations, betrayal from ones he trusted the most, humiliation, torture, crucification, and resurrection.
- Murali Das as Jesus
- Gemini Ganesan as John The Baptist
- Thikkurissy Sukumaran Nair as King Herod
- K. P. Ummer as Herod Antipas
- Raji as Mary
- Ushakumari as Mary Magdalene
- Jayabharathi as Saint Veronica
- Jayalalithaa as Salome
- Jose Prakash as Annas
- Prameela as Martha
- M. N. Nambiar as Judas
- Major Sundarrajan as Pontius Pilate
- OAK Thevar as Satan
- G. K. Pillai as Caiaphas
- V. K. Ramasamy as Saint Peter
- Vincent as John the Apostle
- Innocent as a courtier in King Herod's court
The music was composed by K. J. Yesudas, M. S. Viswanathan, Alleppey Ranganath and Joseph Krishna and lyrics was written by Sreekumaran Thampi, P. Bhaskaran, Bharanikkavu Sivakumar, Augustine Vanchimala, and Vayalar Ramavarma.
|1||Athyunnathangalil Vaazhtheppedum (Raajaavin Raajaavezhunnellunnu)||P Jayachandran, B Vasantha, Chorus||Sreekumaran Thampi|
|2||Ente Munthirichaarino||LR Eeswari||P. Bhaskaran|
|3||Gaagulthaa malakale||K. J. Yesudas||Bharanikkavu Sivakumar|
|4||Hosana||P Jayachandran, P. Leela, KP Brahmanandan, Chorus||Augustine Vanchimala|
|6||Yahoodiya||P Susheela||Vayalar Ramavarma|
- Freek L. Bakker, The Challenge of the Silver Screen: An Analysis of the Cinematic Portraits of Jesus, Rama, Buddha and Muhammad, Studies in Religion and the Arts, v. 1 (Leiden; Boston, MA: Brill, 2009), 13–77.
- Peter Malone Screen Jesus: Portrayals of Christ in Television and Film 2012 "Reports of numerous locally made films of Jesus' life circulate particularly in South India, but other than Karunamayudu, only the following are well documented: Jesus (directed by P. A. Thomas, 1973); Shanti Sandesham (Telugu for Gospel of Peace).. Mulla Kireetam"
|This article about a Malayalam film of the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|