Jo Marie Payton
|Jo Marie Payton|
August 3, 1950|
Albany, Georgia, U.S.
|Education||Miami Carol City Senior High School|
|Alma mater||Albany State University|
Harriette Winslow – Family Matters|
Suga Mama Proud – The Proud Family
(m. 1980; div. 1987)
(m. 1993; div. 1998)
(m. 1998; div. 2004)
Leonard Downs (m. 2007)
Jo Marie Payton (born August 3, 1950) is an American television actress and singer who starred as Harriette Baines–Winslow, the matriarch of the Winslow family on the ABC/CBS sitcom Family Matters (1989–1997), and also appeared in a recurring role on its parent series Perfect Strangers. From 2001 to 2005, Payton provided the voice for Suga Mama Proud on Bruce W. Smith's Disney Channel's The Proud Family. The role earned her an NAACP Image Award nomination in 2005. Payton also had a recurring role as the personal assistant to Gregory Hines' character, Ben Doucette (Will Truman's boss), during season two of Will & Grace (1999–2000).
Early life and education
Jo Marie Payton was born on August 3, 1950, in Albany, Georgia. Sometime during her early teens, her family relocated to Opa-locka, Florida. Payton attended high school at North Dade Jr./ Sr. High School and later graduated from Miami Carol City Senior High School in 1968. Payton graduated from Albany State University.
Payton's big break came when she was cast as Harriet Winslow, the elevator operator on the ABC sitcom 'Perfect Strangers in 1987. Her performance was so well received by audiences that she was given her own sitcom, Family Matters, in 1989. Continuing her character Harriette Winslow from Perfect Strangers, she played a mother in an African-American middle-class family living in Chicago, Illinois. Payton left Family Matters partway through its final season, appearing for the last time on December 19, 1997. Payton's character was played by Judyann Elder in the show's remaining eight episodes. In 2002, Payton appeared on the "TV Moms" episode of the Anne Robinson version of The Weakest Link, and was the third one voted off. In 2003, Payton and her daughter appeared on a Mother's Day episode of Lingo, playing against fellow TV mom Meredith Baxter and her daughter. Baxter and her daughter won. In 2005, Jo Marie Payton provided the voice of Suga Mama in The Proud Family Movie. Her other television credits include Desperate Housewives, Reba, Girlfriends, Wanda at Large, Judging Amy, The Parkers, Will & Grace, The Hughleys, 7th Heaven, Moesha, The Jamie Foxx Show, 227, Silver Spoons, Small Wonder and The New Odd Couple. She also appeared in the Canadian TV mini series The Rev as Mama. In 2005, Payton co-hosted the 15th Annual NAACP Theatre Awards with Glynn Turman. In August 2009, Payton appeared on Meet the Browns as Shirley Van Owen. Payton recently hosted her own show on the Hometeam Network, Second Chance with Jomarie Payton. In 2012, Payton was in the GMC TV movie special From This Day Forward.
In 2004, in an effort to help raise funds for Virginia Union University, Payton wrote letters to alumni urging them to donate money in amounts from $18.65 to $186,500, in honor of the University's founding date of 1865. Payton also continued to donate, host charitable events, and support her alma mater of Albany State University while also continuing her education and making a successful career.
Payton is a member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. In 1999, she released a jazz album, Southern Shadows. Payton has been married and divorced three times. Her first marriage was to Marc France from 1980 to 1987 with whom she has a daughter with, Chantale France, born 1984. From April 17, 1993 until 1998, Payton was married to Rodney Noble. Shortly after divorcing Noble, Payton married Landrus Clark in 1998; later divorcing in 2004. Payton has been married to Leonard Downs since 2007.
- The New Odd Couple (1982–1983) as Mona
- Small Wonder (1986–1989) as Sergeant Pepper, Meter Maid
- 227 (1987) as Mrs. Herman
- Perfect Strangers (1987–1989) as Harriette Winslow
- Troop Beverly Hills (1989)
- Family Matters (1989–1997) as Harriette Winslow
- Moesha (1996–1999) as Bernetta Campbell
- The Jamie Foxx Show (1998) as Janice Reese
- 7th Heaven (2000) as Dr. Sharon Peacock
- Wanda at Large (2003) as Mother Hawkins
- Will & Grace (1999–2000) as Ms. Freeman
- The Parkers (2002) as Bernetta Campbell
- Judging Amy (2002) as Mrs. Kahn
- Girlfriends (2004) as Annette Miles
- The Proud Family (2001–2005) as Suga Mama (voice)
- Reba (2005) as Grandma Ruby
- Desperate Housewives (2006) as Charlene
- The Proud Family Movie (2005) as Suga Mama (voice)
- Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns (2009) as Shirley
- The Glades (2010) as Remelle
- Mann & Wife (2015–present) as Lorraine Mann
- The Flight Before Christmas (2015) as wife of the character played by Reginald VelJohnson, who also acted as Payton's husband on Family Matters
- Conundrum:Secrets among friends (2018) as Ms. Johanna
- Fearn-Banks, Kathleen. "Historical Dictionary of African-American Television". Google Books. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- NNDB - Jo Marie Payton
- Payton, JoMarie. "Information". Facebook. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "Jo Marie Payton Biography". A&E Television Networks. Retrieved 2009-04-08.[permanent dead link]
- "36th NAACP Image Award Winners" (PDF). NAACP. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 8, 2009. Retrieved April 8, 2009.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 17, 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- "Weakest Link episodes". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "Desperate Housewives Remember..." TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- "Best Bets: What's on TV Tonight". Cincinnati Enquirer. October 24, 2003. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "The City of Los Angeles and Beverly Hills Hollywood NAACP 15th Annual Theatre Awards Nominations". Business Wire. January 26, 2005. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- Booker, Simeon (July 19, 2004). "(Ticker Tape; calls for donations to Virginia Union University)". Jet. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- JET Magazine (May 24, 1993), "(Mr. & Mrs.) 'Family Matters' Star JoMarie Payton Weds Longtime Beau In Calif.", Google Books, retrieved 2018-06-06