Joe McGowan (7 January 1944, Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo, Ireland) is an Irish historian, folklorist, and author specialising in the history and heritage of Ireland. He is based in Sligo.
- 1993 In the Shadow of Benbulben: A Portrait of Our Storied Past, Aeolus Publications
- 1998 Inishmurray: Gale, Stone and Fire, Aeolus Publications
- 2001 Echoes of a Savage Land, Mercier Press,
- 2003 Constance Markievicz: People's Countess, Cottage Press
- 2004 Sligo: Land of Destiny, Aeolus Publications
- 2005 Inishmurray: Island Voices, Aeolus Publications History and heritage of Inishmurray Island, Co. Sligo
- 2007 "A Fairy Wind",short stories, music, songs and monologues, Aeolus Publications
- 2009 "A Bitter Wind", Aeolus Publications, an account of Irish country life as it was lived up to and including the 20th century.
- 2015 "Sligo Folk Tales",Irish History Press, legends, myths and folkore of Co. Sligo