|Joel R. Primack|
|Born||Joel R. Primack
July 14, 1945
Santa Barbara, California
Distinguished Professor of Physics at the University of California, Santa Cruz
Princeton University (A.B., Physics, summa cum laude, 1966)
|Notable works||Advice and Dissent: Scientists in the Political Arena,The View from the Center of the Universe: Discovering Our Extraordinary Place in the Cosmos, The New Universe and the Human Future: How a Shared Cosmology Could Transform the World|
|Notable awards||Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Senior Award, 1997|
|Spouse||Nancy Ellen Abrams|
Primack received his A.B. from Princeton University in 1966 and his Ph.D. from Stanford University in 1970. His fields of study are relativistic quantum field theory, cosmology, and particle astrophysics. He is also involved in supercomputer simulations of dark matter models. He directs the University of California High-Performance AstroComputing Center (UC-HiPACC). Primack is best known for his co-authorship with George Blumenthal, Sandra Moore Faber, and Martin Rees of the theory of cold dark matter (CDM) in 1984. He co-authored two books with Nancy Abrams, The View from the Center of the Universe (2006) and The New Universe and the Human Future (2011). He played main roles in starting the Congressional Science and Technology Fellowship program, the Forum on Physics and Society of the American Physical Society, and the Science and Human Rights program of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1970-1973. He is a fellow of the American Physical Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- "Joel R. Primack". Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "Welcome from the Director". Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- Blumenthal; et al. (11 Oct 1984). "Formation of galaxies and large-scale structure with cold dark matter". Nature. 311: 517–525. Bibcode:1984Natur.311..517B. doi:10.1038/311517a0. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Joel R. Primack, "Dark Matter, Galaxies, and Large Scale Structure in the Universe", SLAC-PUB-3387 (July 1984), in Proceedings of the International School of Physics XCII 1987
- The View from the Center of the Universe. Joel R. Primack and Nancy Ellen Abrams, Riverhead Books, 2007 (ISBN 978-1594482557).
- The New Universe and the Human Future - The Terry Lectures. Joel R. Primack and Nancy Ellen Abrams, Yale University Press, 2012 (ISBN 978-0300181241).
- David Hafemeiste. "History of the Forum on Physics and Society". Forum on Physics and Society, Vol 28, p 3-5. ; Link in APS website
- The Terry Lectures 2009 - Yale University - first of four lectures on cosmology by Joel Primack and Nancy Abrams.