Early life and education
Winger was born in Cologne. He studied Russian and was trained to listen to intercepted Russian radio broadcasts during his military service in West Germany. Winger worked as a journalist and studied economics at the University of Cologne. In 1990 he met his wife Anna Winger in Chile.
in the early 2000s Winger moved from Cologne to Leipzig to be the showrunner of SOKO Leipzig Winger has since produced more than 300 episodes of multi-award-nominated prime-time series SOKO Leipzig on ZDF, including 14 feature-length episodes set in locations such as Moscow, Istanbul and Santo Domingo and a crossover episode with UK series The Bill on ITV.
In 2012, Winger created a YouTube channel "Trigger", where he co-created the animated series "Serial Killers" with Marie Meimberg. "Serial Killers" was sold to German TV network RTL Crime.
With his wife, Anna Winger, is co-creator and executive producer of Deutschland 83, broadcast on Sundance TV (USA) in June 2015 and on RTL (Germany) in November and December 2015. The 8-episode series, is about a young East German spy on an undercover mission to West Germany in 1983 and was inspired by Winger's military service experiences. Deutschland 83 had its world premiere when the first two episodes were shown at the 2015 Berlin Film Festival and has gone on to win a number of awards including: The Grimmepreis, Goldene Kamera, Peabody Award, and an International Emmy.
- "German Cold War Drama Comes To American TV". NPR.org. 14 June 2015.
- Peter Zander. "Deutschland 83: „Vielleicht braucht es den fremden Blick“".
- "Deutschland 83 - 3 Questions with Joerg Winger, Executive Producer and Creator of “DEUTSCHLAND 83″ – SundanceTV". www.sundance.tv.
- Cynthia Littleton. "‘Deutschland 83’ Breaks Cultural Barriers With Cold War Chiller | Variety". Variety.
- "Deutschland 83 episode two review: 'A heady cocktail of the lethal and the ludicrous'". Radio Times, Ben Dowell, 10 January 2016
- Deutschland 83, retrieved 2017-06-02
- "Fitzeks Thriller „Das Joshua-Profil“ gibt’s bald als Serie".
- Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH. "Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH: Infotext Serien Producing".