Levin graduated from the Jerome Fisher Program in Management and Technology from the University of Pennsylvania, with a B.S. in Economics from the Wharton School and a B.A.S. in Engineering from the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Levin worked from 2001 to 2003 in the Technology Mergers & Acquisitions group for Credit Suisse First Boston (now Credit Suisse) in San Francisco.
In 2003, Levin joined IAC, holding various roles, including Senior Vice President, Mergers & Acquisitions and Finance, before his appointment to CEO of Mindspark Interactive Network, an IAC-owned consumer software company now known as IAC Applications, in November 2009. Levin then served as CEO of IAC Search & Applications, overseeing the desktop software, mobile applications, and media properties that at that time comprised IAC's Search & Applications segment: About.com, Apalon, Ask.com, ASKfm, Citysearch, CityGrid, Dictionary.com, Investopedia, Mindspark, PriceRunner, and SlimWare.
In June 2015, Levin was named CEO of IAC and appointed to the company's Board of Directors. The move was linked with IAC's decision to spin off The Match Group in an IPO, with IAC Chairman Barry Diller citing Levin's "youth, energy, and ability to develop" the assets remaining in IAC's portfolio.
Levin is on the Board of Directors of Match Group and Groupon. He previously served on the Board of Directors of Tree.com from August 2008 until November 2014, and served on the Board of Directors of The Active Network from February 2008 up until its sale to Vista Equity Partners in December 2013.
Awards and honors
In April 2016, Levin was named #9 on Forbes' list of "America's Most Powerful CEOs 40 and Under".
In August 2017, Levin was selected for Fortune's "2017 40 Under 40" list. 
In July 2018, Levin was named #14 on Fortune's "2018 40 Under 40" list. 
- "Barry Diller's IAC Plans to Spin Off Its Match and Tinder Business in an IPO". Re/Code. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Joseph "Joey" Levin". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "IAC Appoints Joey Levin CEO of Mindspark Interactive Network". Bloomberg. Archived from the original on 2016-03-10. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "IAC to turn Match.com into a separate business". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "IAC says it's planning an IPO for Match.com". Fortune. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "CFO Moves: Dollar General, IAC/Interactive Corp, Momenta Pharmaceuticals". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "Barry Diller's IAC Plans Match Group IPO, Names New CEO". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "Company overview of Match Group, Inc". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "BRIEF-Groupon adds Joey Levin to board of directors". Reuters. 2017-03-13. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- "Tree.com, Inc". SEC.gov. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Form 10-Q, Tree.com, Inc". SEC.gov. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Form S-1, The Active Network, Inc". SEC.gov. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Form 8-K, The Active Network, Inc". SEC.gov. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "40 Under 40". Crain's NY. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "America's Most Powerful CEOs 40 and Under". Forbes. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "40 Under 40". Fortune. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "40 Under 40". Fortune. Retrieved 2018-07-19.