John Bangsund (born 1939) was a prominent Australian science fiction fan in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. He was a major force, with Andrew I. Porter behind Australia winning the right to host the 1975 Aussiecon, and he was Toastmaster at the Hugo Award ceremony at that convention.
He was an influential and founding member of ANZAPA - the Australian and New Zealand Amateur Press Association; and long-time editor of the newsletter for The Victorian Society of Editors in Australia (of which he is an honorary life member ). His fanzine, Australian Science Fiction Review (ASFR), did much to help revive sf fandom in Australia during the 1960s.
He was co-chair of the 9th Australian S.F. Convention (1970), and Fan Guest of Honor at Ozcon (1974 Australian National SF Convention).
John Bangsund was the instigator of the term Muphry's law, which states that "if you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written".
- John W. Campbell : an Australian tribute (1972)
- Australian SF Review (1966–69) - twice nominated for a Hugo Award
- Scythrop (1969–1972)
- Philosophical Gas
- Parergon Papers
- Hugo Award for Best Fanzine 1967, Australian SF Review, nominated 
- Hugo Award for Best Fanzine 1968, Australian SF Review, nominated 
- Ditmar Award Best Australian Amateur Science Fiction Publication or Fanzine 1969, Australian SF Review, winner 
- Ditmar Award Best Australian Fanzine 1972, Scythrop, nominated
- Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer 1975, nominated
- Ditmar Award Best Australian Fan Writer 1979, nominated
- Ditmar Award William Atheling Jr Award 1979, Parergon Papers 10, ANZAPA, Oct 1978, nominated
- Chandler Award, 2001
FAAN Lifetime Achievement Award, 2016
- "1968 and All That" 
- Approaches to the Fiction of Ursula K. Le Guin by James Warren Bittner 
- The History of the Science-fiction Magazine by Michael Ashley 
- The Language of the Night by Ursula K. Le Guin, Susan Wood 
- Overland by O.L. Society 
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Reference Index, 1992-1995 by Halbert W. Hall 
- Society of Editors Newsletter March 2007
- 2001 Chandler Award appreciation
- Natcon list Archived 1 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Threepenny Planet". Archived from the original on 20 July 2008. Retrieved 13 September 2008.
- National Library of Australia catalog
- ASFR listing
- 1967 Hugos
- 1968 Hugos
- "1969 Ditmars". Archived from the original on 10 April 2009. Retrieved 15 September 2008.
- "1972 Ditmars". Archived from the original on 10 April 2009. Retrieved 15 September 2008.
- 1975 Hugos
- "1979 Ditmars". Archived from the original on 10 April 2009. Retrieved 15 September 2008.
- Chandler Award Winners