John Beresford, 4th Marquess of Waterford
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Beresford was the third son of the Henry Beresford, 2nd Marquess of Waterford and his wife, Susanna. He was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge. He later entered the ministry and was the incumbent of Mullaghbrack, County Armagh and a Prebendary of St Patrick's Cathedral, serving under his uncle, Lord John.
On 20 February 1843, he married Christiana Leslie (a relative of the Leslie Baronets) and they had five sons:
- John Henry de la Poer, Earl of Tyrone, later 5th Marquess of Waterford (1844–1895)
- Lord Charles William de la Poer (1846–1919), later created Baron Beresford, naval commander
- Lord William Leslie de la Poer (1847–1900), soldier
- Lord Marcus Talbot de la Poer (1848–1922), equerry
- Lord Delaval James de la Poer (1862–1906), soldier
Beresford inherited the marquessate from his childless brother in 1859. On his own death in 1866, the title passed to his eldest son, John.
- Venn, Alumni Cantabrigienses has him the third son.
- "Beresford, Lord John De La Poer (BRST832JD)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
|Peerage of Ireland|
|Marquess of Waterford