John E. Buck
John Buck (born 1946) is an American sculptor and printmaker who was born in Ames, Iowa.
Background and education
He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Kansas City Art Institute in 1968, and in 1971, he studied at Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture in Skowhegan, Maine. In 1972, he received a Master of Fine Arts degree from the University of California, Davis.
Buck is best known for his woodblock prints (such as Father and Son) and bronze sculptures (such as The Archer) that are typically cast from molds taken from wooden maquettes. The DeCordova Museum (Lincoln, Massachusetts), the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, the Hawaii State Art Museum, the Honolulu Museum of Art, the Smithsonian American Art Museum (Washington D.C.) and the Yellowstone Art Museum (Montana) are among the public collections holding works by John Buck.
While studying at Davis, Buck met his wife, artist Deborah Butterfield. They married in 1974. Buck and Butterfield divide their time between a farm in Bozeman, Montana and studios on the island of Hawaii.
This section lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (August 2019)
- Albright, Thomas, Art in the San Francisco Bay Area 1945-1980, Berkeley, California, University of California Press, 1985.
- Buck, John, John Buck: Woodblock Prints, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 1993 ISBN 9780884010784
- DuPont, Diana C., San Francisco Museum of Modern Art Paintings and Sculpture Collection, New York, Hudson Hills Press in association with the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 1985. ISBN 978-0933920590
- Guenther, Bruce, Documents Northwest: The Poncho Series, John Buck, Seattle Art Museum, 1984.
- Guheen, Elizabeth, John Buck, Yellowstone Art Center, 1983.
- Honolulu Museum of Art, Spalding House Self-guided Tour, Sculpture Garden, 2014, pp. 4 & 8
- Mitchell, Benjamin, John Buck: Iconography, Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture, 2008 ASIN: B01K3K1NQQ
- Tesner, Linda, John Buck, Marquand Books in association with American Folk Art Museum, New York, 2014 ISBN 9780615864525
- Love, Katherine (June 2019). "HoMA welcomes John Buck's 'Archer'". Honolulu Museum of Art Blog. Archived from the original on August 25, 2019.
- "John Buck and Deborah Butterfield" (PDF). Montana Arts Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 1, 2011. Retrieved July 24, 2011.
- "Butterfield's horses ride into MAC opening". East Valley Tribune. September 14, 2005. Retrieved July 24, 2011.