John F Sarwark
Dr. John F. Sarwark is Head, Orthopaedic Surgery and Martha Washington Foundation Professor of Pediatric Orthopedics at Lurie Children's Hospital; Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Illinois.
Sarwark earned his Medical Doctorate at Northwestern University Medical School and is alumnus member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. He completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Northwestern University Medical School Affiliated Hospitals and completed training as a clinical fellow in pediatric orthopaedics at the Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware. He is recognized leader in scolisis evaluation, management and research in children.
Awards and accolades
Sarwark is active in numerous ongoing leadership activities and committees at Lurie Children's Hospital and NUFSM; including Research Strategic Planning LC; the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Feinberg School of Medicine and its Education and Residency Selection Committee, past Medical Faculty Senate Council Member and National Alumni Board Member. He is past President, Nathan Smith Davis (Alumni) Club of NUFSM. Dr. Sarwark is past Medical Director for the Motion Analysis Center at Children's Memorial Hospital. In 2004, he received the Pathways Awareness Foundation's first Pioneer Award for his work in the early detection of mobility problems in infants. Dr. Sarwark received the prestigious Arnold Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award from AAP Leadership at the 2014 AAPNCE, the Foundation Award 'honors a medical school faculty physician who exemplifies the qualities of a caring and compassionate mentor in the teaching and advising of medical students...the goal of the award is to emphasize, reinforce and enhance the importance of humanistic qualities among medical students and faculty.' url=http://www.aappublications.org/content/35/10/32.1?sso=1&sso_redirect_count=1&nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token Dr. Sarwark received the 20th Annual Distinguished Service Award, AAP Section on Orthopaedics, 2015 National Conference and Exhibition, Saturday, October 24, 2015—Washington, DC url= https://www2.aap.org/sections/ortho/DSA_Announcement-2015.pdf
He has served two terms as Chairman, Executive Committee/Section of Orthopaedics of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) as well as the SAP (Surgical Advisory Panel) of the AAP. He served two terms on the AAP NCEPG (National Conference and Exhibition and Planning Group); he is a member of the Section on Sports Medicine and Fitness (SOSMF) of the AAP. Dr. Sarwark is an active member of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA) on which he has twice served as a member of its Board of Directors and as Ex Officio member. He has served as Chair of POSNA's Liaison Committee with OKO of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). Dr. Sarwark has chaired and contributes to numerous specialty society meetings and courses. He has for many years served as a faculty member of the AAOS Basic Course for Orthopaedic Educators. He has chaired the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons’ Committee on Patient Education and has served as a member of its Steering Committee on Collaboration Among Providers Involved with Musculoskeletal Care among others. Dr. Sarwark is active in the Scoliosis Research Society and has served on its Education Committee, chaired the Fellowship C, Co-Chaired the C on Non-operative Management and is a past member of the SRS Worldwide Course C. He is a member of the American Orthopaedic Association, 20th Century Orthopaedic Association, American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine, Society for Research into Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida, and the American Society of Biomechanics, among others. Recognized around the world as being among the finest surgeons and educators in his field, Dr. Sarwark travels widely on numerous medical exchanges annually. Dr. Sarwark has also mentored numerous fellows, residents, and students in the various facets of medical education and beyond.
- Sarwark, John F. (ed.). Essentials of Musculoskeletal Medicine Edition 4. Chicago: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. ISBN 978-0892035793.
- Sarwark, John; LaBella, Cynthia, eds. (2010). Pediatric Othopedics and Sports Injuries 2nd Edition. Elk Grove Village, Illinois: American Academy of Pediatrics. ISBN 978-1-58110-284-0.
- Sarwark, John F.; Lubicky, John P., eds. (2001). Caring for the child with spina bifida. Chicago: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. ISBN 978-0-89203-237-2.
- Price, Susan; Pfeffer, Glenn B.; Jimenez, Ramon L.; Jimenez, Ramon; Sarwark, John F., eds. (2003). The 2003 Body Almanac: Your Personal Guide to Bone and Joint Health at Any Age. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. ISBN 978-0-89203-281-5.
- Sarwark, John F.; Shore, Richard M. (2004). "Pediatric Orthopaedics". In Johnson, Thomas R.; Steinbach, Lynne S. Essentials of Musculoskeletal Imaging. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. pp. 749–894. ISBN 978-0-89203-324-9.
- "John F. Sarwark, MD". Feinberg School of Medicine. March 19, 2010. Archived from the original on April 30, 2010.[self-published source?]
- "Pediatric Orthopedics at A.I. duPont Hospital".
- "Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons".
- "Pathways.org - Tools to maximize child development". Pathways.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-08-02. Retrieved 2010-03-24.
- "2004 Recipient - Dr. John F. Sarwark, MD". Pathways Awareness. Archived from the original on 2010-08-02.
- "Home Page - Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA)".
- Orthopedic Knowledge Online
- "Scoliosis Research Society".
- "AACPDM - American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine".
- "American Society of Biomechanics".
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-07-24. Retrieved 2010-03-24.