John Gourley at 2010 Sasquatch! Festival
|Birth name||John Baldwin Gourley|
|Also known as||The Fantastic The|
|Born||June 12, 1981|
Willow, Alaska, United States
|Origin||Portland, Oregon, United States|
John Baldwin Gourley (born June 12, 1981) is an American musician, singer, and songwriter from Alaska. He is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist in the Portland, Oregon rock band Portugal. The Man. Gourley was previously the lead singer in screamo punk band, Anatomy of a Ghost. Gourley is also a visual artist, who often uses the alias The Fantastic The.
Gourley was born in 1981 in Willow, Alaska, to John T. Gourley and Jennifer Van Ingen. He and his two siblings grew up in Alaska moving from town to town, wherever their father's contracting business took the family. Gourley's parents both competed in the Iditarod, and for a while the family lived in a remote "off the grid" cabin accessible only by dogsled. He grew up helping to take care of dozens of mushing dogs.
He attended Wasilla High School, but dropped out at age 15 to study at home and work in construction with his father. Gourley joined four fellow Wasilla musicians: his best friend Zach Carothers and the three members of band Nice Guy Eddie (Dewey Halpaus, Joe Simon, and Nick Simon), to form punk band Anatomy of a Ghost in 2002. They toured across the country and released their album Evanesce in October 2003 on Fearless Records. The members wanted to pursue their own ideas, however, so the band split up in May 2004. Gourley and bassist Carothers formed Portugal. The Man.
Gourley and longtime partner and bandmate Zoe Manville have a daughter born in 2011.
- Gette-King, Dylan (22 December 2011). "Band with local roots stays grounded amid success". Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "Anatomy Of A Ghost - Fearless Records".
- "About". The Fantastic The.
- Hopkins, Kyle (21 January 2012). "Portugal. The Man singer tends his Alaska roots". Alaska Dispatch News.
- White, Caitlin (26 June 2013). "The Man Behind Portugal the Man". Pigeons and Planes.
- Hakata, Josh (4 October 2008). "Back home, Palin lives model life in Last Frontier". MLive. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
[John T.] Gourley, who with his wife, Jennifer, raised three children in a generator-powered cabin near Wasila
- Jacobs, Justin (2 October 2007). "Portugal's Gourley a man of many layers". The Pitt News. University of Pittsburgh. Retrieved 7 July 2015.[permanent dead link]
- Novak, Jessica (25 May 2011). "Portugal. The Phoner". Syracuse New Times. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015 – via HighBeam Research. (Subscription required (help)).
[John Gourley] dropped out of school when he was 15 to build houses with his father
- Ressler, Casey (28 October 2002). "From humble Wasilla beginnings, the band is making it big". Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman.
- Apar, Corey. "Anatomy of a Ghost - Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Levy, Joe. "Portugal. The Man: Rock's Surprise Heroes". rolling stone. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- Elliott, Will (27 July 2007). "Valley rockers look forward to homecoming gigs". Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman.
- Woodburn, Peter (30 October 2009). "Portugal. The Man Band Interview". Redefine. Archived from the original on 26 March 2012. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Talbott, Chris (5 August 2011). "Portugal. The Man: From Alaska to rock stardom". Daily Herald. Arlington Heights, IL. Associated Press.
- "Portugal. The Man Unwind Back in Hometown". Rolling Stone. 22 August 2013.