John Hughes (motor dealer)
|Born||6 December 1935|
John Joseph Hughes is an Australian businessman best known for his eponymous car dealership.
Hughes was born in Fremantle, Western Australia in 1935 and attended Christian Brothers College, Fremantle. As a teenager he began working at a car dealership while studying accounting by correspondence. By his late 20s he owned his own car dealership.
His dealership was the world's highest-selling Hyundai dealer for eight consecutive years between 1997–2003. John was pivotal in introducing the Korean car marque to Australia. His automotive group also markets other major car brands, including Mitsubishi, Volkswagen, Ford, Kia and Chrysler's Jeep & Dodge brands.
He is on record as driving only cars that he sells.
- Linda Cann (December 4, 2010). "WA second-hand car guru John Hughes, the 0.001 percenter". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- Stephen Williams (January 1, 2011). "John Hughes to win Chinese race". The West Australian. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- "What I'm driving: John Hughes". The West Australian. Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- Dr Roger Smith, Barry Urquhart The Jindalee Factor: Insights on Western Australian Entrepreneurs, Marketing Focus, Australia (1988)
- "Mr Who?" – The West Australian, 17 December 2005
- Stephen Williams "Hughes Top Seller" – The West Australian, 27 March 2004