February 13, 1967 |
Jersey City, New Jersey
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
John Nies (born February 13, 1967 in Jersey City, New Jersey) was a 6th round (154th overall) pick in the 1990 NFL Draft out of University of Arizona to the Buffalo Bills where he played for one year as a punter. Along with his younger brother Eric Nies (later of MTV's The Real World fame),  John Nies subsequently became a fashion model, actor and host of numerous ESPN programs.
John was inspired to start "The Power Center" after a paradigm shifting experience with a Kung Fu Grandmaster and founded The Power Center in early 2000. Finally bringing his passion to life in an intense personal and group fitness training facility. His trademark training style "East West Chi" is a fusion of Eastern health and wellness philosophies and more contemporary Western training techniques that serve as a model for living a fully integrated life mentally, physically and spiritually. John is the owner of The Power Center in Red Bank, New Jersey, a group fitness and personal training facility. At his fitness center and through speaking engagements John Nies focuses on prevention of illness, sport-specific training program for athletes, the cultivation of personal discipline, as well as helping clients overcome substance abuse, food addictions, insomnia, depression, fear and anxiety, low energy levels, and other related complaints related to physical and mental health.
Nies is a fitness ambassador with Lululemon, a contributor to the newly published book, "Beauty Pearls for Chemo Girls", as an expert on fitness and the power of using your mind and visualization as a tool for healing during chemotherapy for cancer patients. In addition, John is part of the Hollywood Heroes campaign as a spokesperson for Kids Kicking Cancer. Kids Kicking Cancer is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping children with cancer through mind-body training in the martial arts.
John and Eric Nies are the sons of Jack Nies "one of the longest running referees in NBA history", and Anna May, a pre-school teacher. Nies was raised in Ocean Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey. He attended Red Bank Catholic High School but hazing from older students led him to transfer to Ocean Township High School.
Nies has two sons who also play football.
- "John Nies". pro-football-reference.com.
- NFL 2001 Record and Fact Book. Workman Publishing Co, New York, NY. p. 262. ISBN 0-7611-2480-2.
- "John Nies". Chi Force. Archived from the original on 2009-03-08.
- West, Diane. "MTV's Eric Nies and the Real World of Weimaraners, Waistlines and "Reality" TV".
- "Chi-Force Website".
- "Superfoods for Supermodels".
- Lynn, Allison (October 7, 1996). "Nies 'n' easy: MTV stud Eric Nies has his life back in shape". People.
...hometown of Ocean Township, N.J.
- Anderson, Teja. "People On The Move - John Nies", LivingMedia, June 27, 2010. Accessed August 14, 2012. "John Nies grew up in Ocean Township with his two sisters Kim and Tara and younger brother Eric (yes, the guy from MTV’s The Real World), his parents, mother Anna May, a pre-school teacher and father Jack who was one of the longest running referees in NBA history. John Attended Ocean Township High School after his experiences in private school were not so pleasant. 'I went to RBC for two semesters and I got abused and hazed on the bus.'"