||This article's factual accuracy is disputed. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
30 January 1966 |
Ohio, United States
John Roecker is an independent filmmaker who is associated with the punk subculture. He currently resides in Los Angeles, California. Roecker is probably best known for Live Freaky! Die Freaky!, a stop motion animated comedy based on the true crime book Helter Skelter.
From 1996 to 1999, Roecker and Exene Cervenka co-owned Los Angeles store "You've Got Bad Taste." The store specialized in kitsch and various "off-color" novelties, such as paintings by serial killer and rapist John Wayne Gacy and a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) wanted poster of bank robber Patty Hearst . He recently released an album with collaborater Dylan Melody titled Rocker|Melody on Frontier Records. A music video was created for every track on the album.
Next, Roecker and Melody are collaborating on a musical about Charles Manson.
- "The Fear Morty's Theme" Bootleg: From the Lost Vault, Vol. 1, Esham. Music video. Director. (2000)
- Disease is Punishment, The Network. Concert video. Director. (2004)
- Live Freaky! Die Freaky!. Stop motion feature film. Animator, director, and screenwriter. (2006)
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Gay Porn Stars* (*But Were Too Afraid to Ask). Seven-part documentary TV series based on interviews with male pornography stars. Director. (2008)
- Svengali!, (webseries). Actor, director, and screenwriter. (2010)
- They're All Out Without You, short film using footage cut from Heart Like a Hand Grenade (see above in 2009). Director and screenwriter. (2011)
- Tim Timebomb's Rock'n'Roll Theatre, (webseries). Co-written with Tim Armstrong. (2012)
- Heart Like a Hand Grenade. Documentary of Green Day's production of the 2004 album American Idiot. Recorded from 2003-2005. Director. (2015)
- Whitmire, Margo (2005-10-08). "Film Lets 'Freak' Flag Fly". Billboard.
- Reighley, Kurt B. (February 14, 2006), "Freaky deaky", The Advocate
- Voss, Brandon (01-01-????). "The Hardest Job in Show Business". The Advocate. Check date values in:
- "John Roecker's 'Freaky' Puppet Show". The Washington Post. 2006-01-27.
- "Who Say's 'Nobody Ever Went Broke...?". The New York Times. 1999-03-21.
- "One Foot on the Mattress, The Other on the Floor, by Roecker | Melody". Roecker | Melody. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- "The Soapbox Office Podcast: Episode 11: Freaky Nightmare Before Christmas". www.soapboxoffice.com. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- "here! presents "Everything You Wanted to Know About Gay Porn Stars *but were to afraid to ask"". here! Networks. August 4, 2008. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- John Roecker—Dirt
- John Roecker—Facebook
- John Roecker—Internet Movie Database
- John Roecker—Twitter
- Svengali episodes—Vimeo
- John Roecker—YouTube
For Live Freaky! Die Freaky!
- "Film Let's Freak' Flag Fly"—Billboard (pg. 54), 10/08/2005
- "An Epic Interview with John Roecker"—FilmJerk.com, 08/23/2003
- "John Roecker director of 'Live Freaky! Die Freaky!' "—GeekStinkBreath.net
|This article about a United States film director born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|