John T. Stankey
|Alma mater||Loyola Marymount University (BA) |
UCLA Anderson School of Management (MBA)
|Occupation||CEO of WarnerMedia, Board Member of UPS|
|Known for||AT&T Acquisitions of DirecTV, Time Warner|
Early life and education
Stankey was raised in Los Angeles, the youngest of three children. His father was an insurance underwriter and his mother a housewife. In the 1980s, he graduated with a B.A. in finance from Loyola Marymount University. In 1985, he took a entry-level position with Pacific Bell. In 1991, he earned a M.B.A. from UCLA.
In 1995, after Southwestern Bell Corporation become SBC Communications, Stankey served as the Executive Vice President of Industry Markets beginning in 1998 becoming the Executive President of Industry Markets in 2000. In 2001 Stankey became the President and CEO for SBC Southwest. Stankey served as Chief Information Officer of the "new AT&T" after the merger of SBC with AT&T Corporation finalized in 2005  becoming the Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer for AT&T, from 2008 to 2012, Stankey held various senior executive positions within AT&T and in January 2012, Stankey became the Chief Strategy Officer and Group President of AT&T Inc. In 2015, Stankey become the CEO of AT&T Entertainment Group at AT&T Inc. and during the merger of Time Warner Inc. with AT&T Stankey served as the Senior Executive Vice President of AT&T/Time Warner Merger Integration Planning at AT&T Inc.
- "AT&T Leadership". Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- "Executive Profile: John T. Stankey". Bloomberg. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- "AT&T Inc. 2018 Annual Report" (PDF). Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Chmielewski, Dawn. "AT&T Veteran John Stankey Explains Why He's Restructuring WarnerMedia". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- Cohan, William D. "What's Next for HBO?: With Plepler Out, Wall Street Scrutinizes AT&T's Reorg". The Hive. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- James, Meg (September 7, 2017). "AT&T's John Stankey hopes to avoid a disconnect in merger with Time Warner". Los Angeles Times.
- Bloomberg (March 9, 2019). "Executive Profile: John T. Stankey". Bloomberg.
- "New AT&T Launches" (Press release). AT&T. November 18, 2005. Archived from the original on 11 October 2007. Retrieved September 29, 2007.
- Flint, Joe (March 4, 2019). "AT&T Breaks Up Turner, Bulks Up Warner Bros. in Major WarnerMedia Overhaul". The Wall Street Journal.