John Talbot, 10th Earl of Shrewsbury
John Talbot, 10th Earl of Shrewsbury, 10th Earl of Waterford (1601 – 8 February 1654) was an English nobleman.
He was the only child and son of John Talbot of Longford, Newport, Shropshire (died London, 1607 or c. 1607), and wife Eleanor Baskerville, daughter of Sir Thomas Baskerville of Wolvershill, Herefordshire, and of Brinsop, Herefordshire, and paternal grandson of Sir John Talbot of Grafton and Catherine or Katharine Petre.
He remained in his family's Roman Catholic faith and took part on the side of King Charles I in the English Civil War. He was First Commissioner of Advice for the counties of Worcestershire, Shropshire and Staffordshire in 1644/45, and he served on the Royalist garrison at Worcester when it surrendered to Parliament in July 1646. In 1647 his estates were sequestered and compounded by Parliament on grounds of his being a "Papist and delinquent" (i.e. Catholic and royalist).
In September 1651 he accompanied Charles II when he fled after defeat at the battle of Worcester, escorting him to White Ladies Priory in Shropshire, where the king was hidden for a time. The Earl died in 1653/54 at Tasmore, Oxfordshire, and was succeeded by his second son.
Talbot married Mary Fortescue, by whom he had five children:
- Lady Frances Talbot (d. 17 July 1641), married George Winter, 1st Baronet (1622 - 1658) and had issue Thomas Winter
- George Talbot, Baron Talbot (circa 1620 - 7 March 1644), married Mary, daughter of Percy Herbert, 2nd Baron Powis. He had issue one daughter, Mary, living 1649 but died young and unmarried.
- Francis Talbot, 11th Earl of Shrewsbury (1623 - 1667)
- Hon. Gilbert Talbot (bef. 1654 - 1711), married Jane Flatsbury and had issue, including Gilbert Talbot, 13th Earl of Shrewsbury
- Lady Mary Talbot (bef. 1654 - c. March 1711), married first Charles Arundell and had issue, married second Mervyn Tuchet, 4th Earl of Castlehaven and had issue.
He later married Hon. Frances Arundell, daughter of Thomas Arundell, 1st Baron Arundell of Wardour and had three sons by her:
- Hon. John Talbot
- Hon. Buno Talbot
- Hon. Thomas Talbot
- The Complete Peerage, Volume XI. St Catherine's Press, London. 1949. p. 718.
The Earl of Shrewsbury
| Lord High Steward of Ireland
The Earl of Shrewsbury
|Peerage of England|
| Earl of Shrewsbury
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Earl of Waterford
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|