John Wild (priest)
Wild was then a Chaplain Fellow of University College from 1933–1945, before becoming Master. He was the only clerical Master of University College during the 20th century and was not a noted academic.
In 1951, he was selected to be Dean at Durham Cathedral. He succeeded Cyril Alington, whose eldest son, Giles Alington, was a Fellow at University College from 1944 to 1956, including while Wild was Master. Wild later became Dean Emeritus.
He was married to Margaret Elizabeth Everard Wild (née Wainwright), who died on 21 October 2008 at the age of 86.
- Darwall-Smith, Robin, A History of University College, Oxford. Oxford University Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-19-928429-0. John Wild and Giles Alington, pages 475–485.
- Information from the National Portrait Gallery (London).
- University College, A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 3: The University of Oxford, 1954, pp. 61–81.
- Wild, J. H. S., Reminiscences of the Very Revd. J. H. S. Wild, University College Record, Volume IX, Number 4, pages 41–52, October 1988.
- Announcements, Chard & Ilminster News, October 2008.
|Master of University College, Oxford
Arthur Lehman Goodhart
|Church of England titles|
|Dean of Durham Cathedral
Eric William Heaton
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to the University of Oxford is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|