John, Elector of Saxony
Johann of Saxony by Lucas Cranach the Elder, 1509.
|Elector of Saxony|
|Reign||5 May 1525 – 16 August 1532|
|Successor||Johann Frederick I|
30 June 1468|
Meissen, Electorate of Saxony, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||16 August 1532
Schweinitz, Electorate of Saxony, Holy Roman Empire
|Spouse||Sophie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
Margaret of Anhalt-Köthen
|Issue||Johann Frederick I, Elector of Saxony
Maria, Duchess of Pomerania
John Ernest, Duke of Saxe-Coburg, Margaret Buser, Freifrau of Liestal
|House||House of Wettin|
|Father||Ernest, Elector of Saxony|
|Mother||Elisabeth of Bavaria|
From 1486 onwards he was the heir presumptive of his childless brother Frederick the Wise; when he died in 1525, Johann inherited the title of Elector. As his nickname "The Steadfast" indicates, he resolutely continued the policies of his brother toward protecting the progress of the Protestant Reformation. In 1527 the Lutheran Church was established as the state church in Ernestine Saxony, with the Elector as Chief Bishop. He was a leader of the Schmalkaldic League of Protestant states formed in 1530 to protect the Reformation.
He died in Schweinitz. After his death he was, like his brother Frederick, buried in the famous Castle Church in Wittenberg with a grave by Hans Vischer. He was succeeded by his eldest son Johann Frederick.
Marriage and children
- Johann Frederick I, Elector of Saxony (b. Torgau, 30 June 1503 – d. Weimar, 3 March 1554).
- Maria (b. Weimar, 15 December 1515 – d. Wolgast, 7 January 1583), married on 27 February 1536 to Duke Philip I of Pomerania-Wolgast
- Margaret (b. Zwickau, 25 April 1518 – d. Liestal, Switzerland, 10 March 1545), married on 10 June 1536 to Hans Buser, Freiherr of Liestal.
- John (b. and d. Weimar, 26 September 1519)
- John Ernest, Duke of Saxe-Coburg (b. Coburg, 10 May 1521 – d. Coburg, 8 February 1553).
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John, Elector of Saxony.|
John, Elector of SaxonyBorn: 30 June 1468 Died: 16 August 1532
|Elector of Saxony