Jon D. Levy
|Jon David Levy|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maine|
Assumed office |
May 2, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||George Z. Singal|
Jon David Levy|
1954 (age 63–64)
New York City, New York
Syracuse University (B.S.)|
West Virginia University (J.D.)
Jon David Levy (born 1954) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maine and former Justice of the Maine Supreme Court.
Levy received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1976 from Syracuse University. He received a Juris Doctor in 1979 from the West Virginia University College of Law where he was the lead article editor of the Law Review and graduated Order of the Coif. He served as a law clerk for Judge John Thomas Copenhaver Jr. of the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia from 1979 to 1981. From 1981 to 1982, he was appointed by Judge William Wayne Justice to serve as a Special Court Monitor of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas. From 1983 to 1995, he was an attorney in private practice in York, Maine. From 1995 to 2002, he served as a Maine District Court Judge, serving as Deputy Chief Judge from 2000 to 2001 and Chief Judge from 2001 to 2002. From 2002 till his confirmation as a federal judge in 2014, he has served as an Associate Justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Federal judicial service
On September 19, 2013, President Obama nominated Levy to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maine, to the seat vacated by Judge George Z. Singal, who took senior status on July 31, 2013. On January 16, 2014 his nomination was reported out of committee. On April 11, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On April 29, 2014 a vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination was agreed to by a vote of 63-34. On April 30, 2014 the nomination was confirmed by a final vote of 75-20. He received his judicial commission on May 2, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on the United States District Courts". 19 September 2013.
- "Biography". Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- "Levy, Jon David - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 19 September 2013.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 116. United States Senate. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 123. United States Senate. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- Jon D. Levy at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Jon Levy at Ballotpedia
George Z. Singal
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maine