|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maine|
January 6, 2015
|Preceded by||John A. Woodcock|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maine|
October 4, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||D. Brock Hornby|
|Born||1959 (age 57–58)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
|Education||Hope College B.A.
University of Michigan Law School J.D.
Nancy Torresen (born 1959) is the Chief United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maine. She is the first female judge to serve in the District of Maine.
Early life and education
Torresen worked as a law clerk for then-District Judge Conrad K. Cyr from 1987 to 1988. Between the years 1988 to 1990, Torresen worked at the law firm of Williams & Connolly, where she was based in Washington, D.C.. In 1990, Torresen joined the United States Attorney's Office in Maine, where she handled civil actions involving United States federal agencies. Between 1994 and 2001, Torresen worked for the appellate section of the criminal division of the Maine Attorney General’s Office, where she was responsible for representing the state of Maine in appeals of serious violent crime convictions. From 2001 until becoming a federal judge in 2011, she worked in the United States Attorney’s Office in Bangor and focused on investigating and prosecuting various federal crimes.
Federal judicial service
Torresen was nominated to fill the seat of Judge D. Brock Hornby by President Barack Obama on March 2, 2011. Torresen is the first woman to serve as a federal judge in Maine. The United States Senate confirmed Torresen on October 3, 2011. She received her judicial commission on October 4, 2011. She became Chief Judge on January 6, 2015.
- Making History: President Obama’s Female Judicial Nominees, Alliance for Justice (June 11, 2013).
- Judy Harrison, "Bangor attorney Torresen may be first woman to become federal judge in Maine" (March 3, 2011). Bangor Daily News.
- "Torresen, Nancy - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Nominations Sent to the Senate". The White House Office of the Press Secretary. 2011-03-02. Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- Writer, Scott DolanStaff (6 January 2015). "Judge Torresen named chief of federal courts in Maine - Portland Press Herald".
D. Brock Hornby
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maine
John A. Woodcock
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maine