Jonathan Child House & Brewster–Burke House Historic District
Jonathan Child House & Brewster-Burke House Historic District
|Location||37 S. Washington St. and 130 Spring St., Rochester, New York|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Bragdon, Claude; Et al.|
|Architectural style||Greek Revival, Italianate|
|NRHP reference No.||71000543|
|Added to NRHP||February 18, 1971|
The Jonathan Child House, located at 37 S. Washington St. was constructed 1837-1838 by Jonathan Child (1785–1860), Rochester's first mayor and son-in-law of the city's founder Nathaniel Rochester. It features a monumental two story portico and is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. The building has seen a number of uses since Child sold it in the 1840s, including once as a boarding house called The Pillars. As of Fall 2012, the building is slated to open as Rochester Pillars, a special-events venue.
The Brewster-Burke House, located at 130 Spring St., is a fine example of the Italianate style. The house features a hipped roof with cupola and an entrance porch with carved Moorish Revival ornamentation.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- Tobin, Tom (September 23, 2012). "Comings & Goings: New plans for downtown's Child House". Democrat and Chronicle. Rochester, New York. Gannett Company. p. 2E. Archived from the original on October 5, 2012. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Diana S. Waite (September 1970). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Jonathan Child House & Brewster-Burke House Historic District". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2009-10-01. See also: "Accompanying five photos".
- Media related to Jonathan Child House & Brewster–Burke House Historic District at Wikimedia Commons
- Landmark Society of Western New York, Jonathan Child House tour
- Monroe County (NY) Library System - Rochester Images - Jonathan Child House
- The Brewster-Burke House, 130 Spring Street, history
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NY-5-R-1, "Jonathan Child House, 37 South Washington Street, Rochester, Monroe County, NY", 4 photos, 15 measured drawings, 3 data pages
- HABS No. NY-220, "Henry A. Brewster House, Spring & Washington Streets, Northwest, Rochester, Monroe County, NY", 5 photos, 11 measured drawings, 3 data pages
- Images of the Jonathan Child House on New York Heritage[permanent dead link]