Joseph E. Aoun
|Joseph Elephante Aoun|
|7th President of|
2006 – present
|Preceded by||Richard M. Freeland|
|Born||March 26, 1953|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
University of Paris VIII
|Website||Office of the President, Northeastern University|
Joseph E. Aoun (Arabic: جوزيف عون) (born March 26, 1953 in Beirut, Lebanon) is the seventh president of Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts, where he took office on August 15, 2006. Prior to taking on the presidency at Northeastern, Aoun was dean of the College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences at the University of Southern California. He joined USC in 1982 in the Department of Linguistics, and during his time at USC served as head of the academic Senate. According to Northeastern's 2016 IRS Form 990, Aoun's current annual salary is $1,311,729, with an additional $204,775 per year in other compensation.
He is married to Zeina and has two sons, Adrian and Joseph Karim.
- PhD: Linguistics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1981
- Diploma of Advanced Studies: General and Theoretical Linguistics, University of Paris VIII, 1977
- Masters: Oriental Languages and Literature, Université Saint-Joseph, Beirut, Lebanon, 1975
Robot-Proof: Higher Education in the Age of Artificial Intelligence was published and released in 2017 by MIT Press. The book appeared over a year after Aoun wrote a commentary for the Chronicle of Higher Education that shares the first part of the book's title.
In Robot-Proof, Northeastern University president Joseph Aoun proposes a way to educate the next generation of college students to invent, to create, and to discover—to fill needs in society that even the most sophisticated artificial intelligence agent cannot.
A "robot-proof" education, Aoun argues, is not concerned solely with topping up students' minds with high-octane facts. Rather, it calibrates them with a creative mindset and the mental elasticity to invent, discover, or create something valuable to society—a scientific proof, a hip-hop recording, a web comic, a cure for cancer. Aoun lays out the framework for a new discipline, humanics, which builds on our innate strengths and prepares students to compete in a labor market in which smart machines work alongside human professionals.
The only certainty about the future is change. Higher education based on the new literacies of humanics can equip students for living and working through change.
The book was released on Aug. 25, 2017.
On September 12, 2017, Aoun appeared on C-SPAN to talk about Robot-Proof in which he argues for the need for better and continuous education to keep up with changing technology.
In an Op-Ed for Time on Sept. 26, 2017, Aoun said, "Beyond simply conferring degrees, the foundational purpose of colleges and universities must be to educate — and that means equipping people of all ages, at all stages of their careers, to build successful and fulfilling lives. This means we need to take several important steps to make our students robot-proof."
- Chevalier de La Légion d’honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honor): French Government, 2018
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2013
- Fellow of the Linguistic Society of America, 2011
- Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2010
- Doctor of Humane Letters: Anatolia College, 2009
- Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa: Hebrew Union College, 2007
- Chevalier de L'ordre des Palmes Academiques (Knight of the Order of the Academic Palms): French Government, 2006
- Endowed Chair, Anna H. Bing Dean's Chair in the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- MIT Robert A. Muh Alumni Award in the Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, 2011
- USC Associates Award For Creativity In Research And Scholarship, 1997
- USC Phi Kappa Phi Faculty Recognition Award, Award for The Syntax of Scope (with A. Li), 1993
- USC Phi Kappa Phi Faculty Recognition Award, Award for A Grammar of Anaphora, 1988
- Arabic Language
- Generative linguistics
- Noam Chomsky
- David Pesetsky
- Hagit Borer
- Richard Kayne
- Howard Lasnik
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter A" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- Pamela J. Johnson (22 June 2006). "Trojans Bid Farewell to Joseph Aoun". USC. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Aoun, Joseph. "Robot-Proof: How Colleges Can Keep People Relevant in the Workplace". Chronicle. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- Aoun, Joseph. "Robot-Proof". Robot-Proof. MIT Press. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- Aoun, Joseph (September 1, 2017). Robot-Proof: Higher Education in the Age of Artificial Intelligence. MIT Press. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Robot-Proof: Higher Education in the Age of Artificial Intelligence". Barnes and Noble.
- "Robot Proof, Sept 12 2017". c-span.org. C-SPAN. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "How College Students Should Prepare for Our Automated Future". Time.com. Time. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- Higher education for the AI age: Let’s think about it before the machines do it for us The Washington Post 10.27.16
- Doubling Down on Innovation for Success, The Chronicle of Higher Education 10.10.16
- Hybrid Jobs Call for Hybrid Education, Harvard Business Review 4.12.16
- Robot-Proof: How Colleges Can Keep People Relevant in the Workplace, The Chronicle of Higher Education 1.27.16
- President's Site at Northeastern University
- The Viral President, Photos & Videos of President Aoun, Northeastern University
- Northeastern University
- An Education Mission for Our Veterans, Real Clear Education 11.11.14
- The Global Eduplex, Boston Globe 9.26.14
- Beyond the limits of traditional learning, Times Higher Education 6.26.14
- Let's Get Engaged, Real Clear Education 5.14.14
- To Meet President Obama's Jobs Goal, Involve All Colleges, Bloomberg Businessweek 1.29.14
- Giving students an enterprising path to start on, Boston Globe 2.16.13
- A shakeup of higher education, Boston Globe 11.17.12
- Northeastern president makes wise use of YouTube, Boston Globe 11.11.12
- Northeastern president named to Homeland Security council, Boston Globe 03.04.12
- President Aoun talks about the cost and value of higher education in America, 90.9 WBUR Radio Boston, 02.08.12
- Joseph Aoun On Northeastern University’s National Expansion, 90.9 WBUR Radio Boston 11.04.11
- Northeastern University looks southeast to Charlotte, The Charlotte Observer 11.01.11
- U. Opens the First in a Planned Series of Graduate Campuses Across the U.S., The Chronicle of Higher Education 11.01.11
- Northeastern putting down stakes across the country, Boston Globe 10.31.11
- Guest post: A clear path to a post-collegiate job, The Washington Post 10.12.11
- President Aoun and Entrepreneur Peter Thiel Debate the Value of College, 90.9 WBUR Radio Boston 06.30.11
- A college education is your best bet, CNN 6.9.11
- Learning Today: the Lasting Value of Place, The Chronicle of Higher Education 5.8.11
- The costs of cutting higher ed, Boston Globe 12.15.10
- Game Changer, The Presidency (American Council on Education Magazine) Fall 2010
- Expand students' global experiences, Politico 8.24.10
- Protect Unpaid Internships, Inside Higher Ed 7.13.10
- Saving Public Higher Ed, Inside Higher Ed 10.1.09
- Millions more going to college?, Boston Globe 7.16.09
- Fast-rising NU reexamines its identity, Boston Globe 4.6.09
- Joseph Aoun: Finding Opportunities in the Recession, The Chronicle of Higher Education 1.30.09
- Boston and its colleges need to nurture unique partnership, Boston Globe 2.17.09
Richard M. Freeland
| 7th President of Northeastern University