|Born||Joseph Richard Schlafman
April 14, 1924
Haverhill, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Died||December 28, 2013
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
Joseph Ruskin (born Joseph Richard Schlafman; April 14, 1924 – December 28, 2013) was an American character actor.
Ruskin appeared in an episode of The Outer Limits, called "Production and Decay of Strange Particles". He also appeared in the film Smokin' Aces. He appeared in The Time Tunnel episode “Revenge of the Gods,” as well as two separate two-part Mission: Impossible episodes "Old Man Out" and "The Slave". He had an uncredited voice role of the Kanamits from The Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man", a season after playing the Genie in another episode, "The Man in the Bottle".
Ruskin died on December 28, 2013 at a hospital in Santa Monica, California.
He also appeared in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, playing as the Klingon "Tumek." He appeared as this character in two episodes of DS9, "The House of Quark" and "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places", which aired in October 1994 and October 1996, respectively. In between these episodes, he was cast as a "Cardassian" informant in the third season episode, "Improbable Cause".
Ruskin then appeared in his first and only Star Trek film role, cast as a "Son'a" officer in Star Trek: Insurrection.
With the exception of Majel Barrett, Ruskin was the only actor to actually appear on-screen in Star Trek: TOS, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, and Star Trek: Enterprise. While he did not appear in the series Star Trek: The Next Generation. he did appear in one movie based on that series Star Trek: Insurrection.
Selected television appearances
- The Untouchables episode: "Mexican Stake-out" (1959)
- Get Smart episode: "Now You See Him ... Now You Don't" (1965)
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. episode: "The Her Master's Voice Affair" (1966)
- The Wild Wild West episodes: "The Night of the Fatal Trap" (1965), and "The Night of the Falcon" (1967)
- Star Trek: The Original Series episode: "The Gamesters of Triskelion" (1968)
- Mission Impossible episode: "The Brothers" (1969)
- Hogan's Heroes episode: The Gestapo Takeover, as Major Strauss (1970)
- The Six Million Dollar Man episodes: "Operation Firefly" (1974), "Lost Love" (1975)
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes: "The House of Quark" (1994), "Improbable Cause" (1995) and "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" (1996)
- Star Trek: Voyager episode: "Gravity" (1999)
- Star Trek: Enterprise episode: "Broken Bow" (2001)