Joseph Richard Schlafman
April 14, 1924
Haverhill, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Died||December 28, 2013 (aged 89)|
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
Joseph Ruskin (born Joseph Richard Schlafman) (April 14, 1924 – December 28, 2013) was an American character actor.
Ruskin appeared in an episode of The Outer Limits, called "Production and Decay of Strange Particles". He appeared in the film Smokin' Aces. He played in The Time Tunnel episode, "Revenge of the Gods," as well as two separate, two-part Mission: Impossible episodes: "Old Man Out" and "The Slave". He had an non-credited voice role of one of the Kanamits in The Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man", a season after playing the genie in another episode, "The Man in the Bottle". Ruskin also appeared in the Hogan's Heroes episode "The Gestapo Takeover".
He appeared in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9), portraying the Klingon Tumek. He appeared as this character in two episodes of DS9, "The House of Quark" and "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places", which aired in October 1994 and October 1996, respectively. In between these episodes, he was cast as a Cardassian informant in the third season episode "Improbable Cause".
Following this, Ruskin appeared in his only Star Trek film role, cast as a Son'a officer in Star Trek: Insurrection. He made an appearance in Star Trek: Voyager in the episode "Gravity", first airing on February 3, 1999, in which he played a Vulcan master.
Ruskin died on December 28, 2013 at a hospital in Santa Monica, California.
- The Untouchables (1959, episode: "Mexican Stake-out") - Fred Metcalf (uncredited)
- Hell Bent for Leather (1960) - Shad
- The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond (1960) - Matt Moran
- The Magnificent Seven (1960) - Flynn (uncredited)
- The Untouchables (1961), episode: "The seventh Vote"
- Diary of a Madman (1963) - The Horla (voice)
- Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964) - Twitch
- Get Smart (1965, episode: "Now You See Him ... Now You Don't") - Ehrlich
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (1966, episode: "The Her Master's Voice Affair") - Jason Sutro
- The Wild Wild West (1965-1967, TV Series) - Felice Munez / Viper Black
- Star Trek: The Original Series (1968, episode: "The Gamesters of Triskelion") - Galt
- Mission Impossible (1969, episode: "The Brothers") - Colonel Hatafis
- Hogan's Heroes (1970, episode: The Gestapo Takeover) - Major Strauss
- Bogard - Scarletti
- The Six Million Dollar Man (1974-1975, TV Series) - Markos / Le Duc
- The Magician (1974, episode: "The Illusion Of The Cat's Eye") - Hassid
- The Bionic Woman (1977, episode: "Jaime and the King") - Prime Minister Hassan
- The Gypsy Warriors (1978) - Grenault
- The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982) - Malcolm
- The Man Who Wasn't There (1983) - Hassan Khaffiri
- Prizzi's Honor (1985) - Marxie Heller
- The Longshot (1986) - Fusco
- Saturday the 14th Strikes Back (1988) - Kharis
- Indecent Proposal (1993) - Pit Boss
- Deadly Exposure (1993) - Abe
- The Criminal Mind (1993) - Manny Kohen
- Firepower (1993) - Drexal
- CyberTracker (1994) - Rounds
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (episodes: "The House of Quark" (1994), "Improbable Cause" (1995) and "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places", TV Series) - Tumek / Informant
- Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - Son'a Officer #3
- Star Trek: Voyager (1999, episode: "Gravity") - Vulcan Master
- Star Trek: Enterprise (2001, episode: "Broken Bow") - Suliban Doctor
- Wishcraft (2002) - Taxidermist
- The Scorpion King (2002) - Tribal Leader
- The Streetsweeper (2002)
- Diamond Zero (2005) - Quentin Leeds
- Smokin' Aces (2006) - Primo Sparazza
- Obituary for Joseph Ruskin, hollywoodreporter.com; accessed February 26, 2014