|No. 75 – Philadelphia Eagles|
|Born:||March 29, 1997|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||250 lb (113 kg)|
|High school:||Oscar F. Smith|
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 4 / Pick: 130|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
High school career
A native of Chesapeake, Virginia, Sweat attended Oscar F. Smith High School where he was teammates with Andrew Brown. In his junior year, he recorded 94 tackles and helped Oscar Smith to march undefeated into the 2013 VHSL 6A state championship game, where they were upset by Centreville High School 35–6. In off-season football camps, Sweat impressed with his athleticism and triggered comparisons to Jadeveon Clowney.
Starting his senior year as the top-rated prospect in the country by ESPN, Sweat registered 25 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, and eight sacks in the first two games of the season. During the third game of the season, against Western Branch High School, Sweat suffered a season-ending injury as he dislocated his knee and tore his ACL. He underwent reconstructive surgery in New York performed by New York Giants team physician Russell Warren, before graduating from Oscar Smith in December 2014 to enroll early in college.
Initially being regarded the top prospect of his class, Sweat fell in the rankings after his injury. He dropped to No. 11 in ESPN's final ranking of the class of 2015, but retained his five-star status. Sweat committed to Florida State over offers from Virginia Tech, Georgia, Ohio State, and Oregon.
Sweat played college football at Florida State. As a freshman in 2015, Sweat played 12 games with 41 tackles, 5 sacks, an interception, 2 passes defended, and 3 fumble recoveries. As a sophomore in 2016, Sweat played 11 games with 41 tackles, 7 sacks, a pass defended, and a fumble recovery. As a junior in 2017, Sweat played 12 games with 56 tackles, 5.5 sacks, and 3 passes defended. On January 4, 2018, Sweat announced that he would forgo his senior year and enter the draft.
At the 2018 NFL Combine, Sweat ranked first among defensive linemen in 40-yard dash and vertical jump.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 3⁄4 in
|34 5⁄8 in
|10 1⁄4 in
|4.53 s||1.55 s||2.61 s||4.28 s||6.95 s||39 1⁄2 in
|10 ft 4 in
|All values from NFL Combine and pro day|
Sweat was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the fourth round (130th overall) in the 2018 NFL Draft. The 130th overall pick was acquired by the Eagles in a trade that sent Sam Bradford to the Minnesota Vikings. He was placed on injured reserve on December 11, 2018.
- "Centreville topples Oscar Smith for Virginia 6A football championship". Washington Post. December 14, 2013.
- "ESPN 300 top player Josh Sweat earns Jadeveon Clowney comparison, remains shy superstar". ESPN.com. July 30, 2014.
- "Big moves made in latest ESPN 300". ESPN. June 28, 2013.
- "FSU recruit Josh Sweat battles to recover from injury to boost Seminoles' pass rush". Orlando Sentinel. February 1, 2015.
- "2015 ESPN 300". ESPN. January 2015.
- "Josh Sweat, No. 5 overall prospect in ESPN 300, chooses Florida State Seminoles". ESPN. December 10, 2014.
- "Florida State DE Josh Sweat entering 2018 draft". ESPN. Retrieved January 4, 2018.
- "FSU's Josh Sweat ranked among the top defensive linemen at the 2018 Combine". NFL Research. March 4, 2018 – via Twitter.
- Teope, Herbie (April 28, 2018). "Eagles add to pass-rushing riches, draft Josh Sweat". NFL.com. Retrieved May 6, 2018.
- McPherson, Chris (December 11, 2018). "Eagles Sign RB Boston Scott And DE Daeshon Hall". PhiladelphiaEagles.com.