Livestro read political science at Leiden University and philosophy at the University of Cambridge. Livestro was active in the Edmund Burke Foundation, a conservative think tank. During his studies, Livestro was an active checkers player, and became national students' champion in 1994. He writes a column about foreign affairs for De Telegraaf.
Livestro succeeded Ronald Plasterk as a columnist for the Sunday morning television talkshow Buitenhof. Plasterk became an education and culture minister in the fourth Balkenende cabinet. The producers of Buitenhof fired Livestro after just four months, saying that his columns were subpar. Livestro said in a Telegraaf op-ed that he was fired for his "right-wing views," that the show routinely ignores alternate viewpoints and even censures columnists' views. He also called one of the broadcaster of Buitenhof, the NPS, a "left-wing funnel," where "a DDR mentality reigns." In wake of Livestro's firing, political parties D66 and VVD asked parliamentary questions to the culture minister, Ronald Plasterk, who incidentally was Livestro's predecessor at Buitenhof. Plasterk answered that there was enough diversity in Dutch public television. Livestro later wrote a longer account his experiences at Buitenhof for Pajamas Media.
On 25 November 2010, the Dutch daily newspaper NRC Handelsblad published an article which names Livestro an advisor to Sarah Palin; Livestro confirmed the announcement by telephone from his home in Nottingham, England.
- Joshua Livestro (2007-07-09). "Tilting at Windmills". Pajamas Media. Archived from the original on July 12, 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-11.
- Joshua Livestro (2007-06-18). "Retourtje Buitenhof" (in Dutch). De Telegraaf. Archived from the original on June 21, 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- "Commentator Livestro voor NPS te rechts" (in Dutch). De Telegraaf. 2007-06-19. Archived from the original on June 21, 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- Corinne Hegeman (2007-06-20). "Reactie van Corinne Hegeman" (in Dutch). Buitenhof. Archived from the original on July 3, 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- "'Platte censuur van linkse publieke omroep'" (in Dutch). NRC Handelsblad. 2007-06-20. Archived from the original on 2007-06-29. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- "Vragen van het lid Van der Ham (D66) aan de minister van Onderwijs Cultuur en Wetenschap over een columnist bij programma Buitenhof" (PDF) (in Dutch). MinOCW. 2007-06-26. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 30, 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- (in Dutch) www.nrc.nl
- Joshua Livestro and Annabel Nanninga (18 September 2014). "'Poetin, Erdogan en IS vragen om nieuw weerwoord'". de Volkskrant. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Frank van Kolfschooten (2 March 2015). "Een ouderwets opiniemagazine voor het smartphonetijdperk". Nieuwe Journalistiek. Fonds Bijzondere Journalistieke Projecten. Retrieved 30 January 2017.