Julie Ann Sosa
Julie Ann Sosa, MD, MA, FACS, is professor and chair of the Department of Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and holds the Leon Goldman, MD, Distinguished Professorship in Surgery. She currently serves as the Treasurer of the American Thyroid Association and Editor-in-Chief of the World Journal of Surgery.
Sosa is an American endocrine surgeon and surgical oncologist, specializing in thyroid cancer. She is internationally recognized for her work in health services research, demonstrating for the first time in the United States a strong association between a higher surgeon or hospital case volume and improved patient outcomes following thyroidectomy and pancreatectomy, as well as optimal extent of thyroid surgery and lymphadenectomy for thyroid cancer. Her contributions have led to the revision of practice guidelines for the management of patients with endocrine diseases.
Education and previous appointments
Sosa received her medical degree from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1994 and went on to complete the Halsted Residency in Surgery at Johns Hopkins in 2001, followed by a fellowship in Surgical Oncology as Assistant Chief of Service in 2002. She was a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar from 1996–1998.
In 2002, Sosa joined the Yale School of Medicine as an Assistant Professor of Surgery, reaching the rank of Associate Professor in 2008. While at Yale, Sosa led the Clinical Research Program in Endocrine Cancers at Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven. In 2012, Sosa joined the Duke University School of Medicine as Professor of Surgery and Medicine (Oncology) where she remained until April 2018 when she became chair of the UCSF Department of Surgery.
While at Duke, Sosa led the Duke Endocrine Neoplasia Diseases Group, a large transdisciplinary group of clinicians and researchers focused on improving clinical and economic outcomes for patients with endocrine diseases. The research team focused on identifying ways to optimize patient clinical and economic outcomes following surgery and in the arena of thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, and endocrine pancreas diseases. Sosa and her research team made significant discoveries that led to improved outcomes for patients with endocrine disease, including thyroid cancer.
Professional memberships and awards
In recognition for her scientific contributions, Sosa has been elected into professional societies and has been honored with awards over the years, a few of which are listed below:
- Elected Member of the American Surgical Association
- Member of the Association for Academic Surgery
- Executive Council Member of the Society of Surgical Oncology
- Treasurer of the American Thyroid Association
- Elected Member of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Board Member of the International Thyroid Oncology Group
- Committee Member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Guidelines for Treatment of Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Elected Member of the Society of Clinical Surgery
- Elected Member of the Halsted Society
- Research Career Development Award, Claude D. Pepper Center at Yale
- JJ Roslyn Faculty Research Award, Association for Academic Surgery
- Association for Academic Surgery International Visiting Professorship Award
- Johns Hopkins Society of Scholars, Johns Hopkins University
- Distinguished Alumna Award, Johns Hopkins University
- Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) Class of 2016
- Woman of the Year in Thyroidology 2017, American Thyroid Association
- Lewis E. Braverman Distinguished Lectureship Award, American Thyroid Association, 2017
- Hyperarts, Rob Mayfield -. "Department of Surgery - Julie Ann Sosa, M.D., M.A., FACS". Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- Hyperarts, Rob Mayfield -. "Department of Surgery - Leon Goldman, M.D." Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- "Julie Ann Sosa appointed editor-in-chief of World Journal of Surgery - DCRI". DCRI. 2017-10-18. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- Sosa, J A; Bowman, H M; Tielsch, J M; Powe, N R; Gordon, T A; Udelsman, R (September 1998). "The importance of surgeon experience for clinical and economic outcomes from thyroidectomy". Annals of Surgery. 228 (3): 320–330. ISSN 0003-4932. PMC 1191485. PMID 9742915.
- Ross, Douglas S.; Burch, Henry B.; Cooper, David S.; Greenlee, M. Carol; Laurberg, Peter; Maia, Ana Luiza; Rivkees, Scott A.; Samuels, Mary; Sosa, Julie Ann (2016-08-12). "2016 American Thyroid Association Guidelines for Diagnosis and Management of Hyperthyroidism and Other Causes of Thyrotoxicosis". Thyroid. 26 (10): 1343–1421. doi:10.1089/thy.2016.0229. ISSN 1050-7256.
- "Julie Ann Sosa, MD | Duke Department of Surgery". surgery.duke.edu. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- "Endocrine Neoplasia - DCRI". DCRI. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- "ASA Newsletter: Summer 2014 newsletter". americansurgical.org. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Leadership - Association for Academic Surgery". Association for Academic Surgery. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Executive Council". www.surgonc.org. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Dr. Julie Ann Sosa Elected Treasurer of the American Thyroid Association | Duke Department of Surgery". surgery.duke.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons > About Us > Governance > Committees". endocrinesurgery.org. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Leadership | International Thyroid Oncology Group". www.itog.org. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Active Members - Society of Clinical Surgery". www.societyofclinicalsurgery.com. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Halsted Society" (PDF). Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Pepper Center Awards Support Research Related to Aging > Geriatrics | Internal Medicine | Yale School of Medicine". medicine.yale.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Roslyn Faculty Award - Association for Academic Surgery". Association for Academic Surgery. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Travel Grants & Visiting Professorships - Association for Academic Surgery". Association for Academic Surgery. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Society of Scholars inducts new members". The Hub. 2014-05-06. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Distinguished Alumnus Award 2014 | Johns Hopkins Alumni". alumni.jhu.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "ELAM Names Julie Ann Sosa, MD to 2015-2016 Class of Fellows | Duke School of Medicine". medschool.duke.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Women in Thyroidology | American Thyroid Association". www.thyroid.org. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "ATA selects Lewis E. Braverman Distinguished Lectureship Award recipient | American Thyroid Association". www.thyroid.org. Retrieved 2017-12-20.