This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||December 31, 1944 (age 72)
Dallas, Texas, United States
|Occupation||Founder of Hope For The Heart (1986), Founder of the Hope Center (2010)|
Hunt is the author of the Biblical Counseling Library, a 100-volume collection of topical, Biblical counseling manuals, that serves as the foundation for Hope For The Heart’s international broadcasts, training, publishing, teaching and biblical counseling ministry. Hunt’s two radio broadcasts—Hope In The Night, a live 2-hour call-in counseling program, and Hope For The Heart, a half-hour teaching program—air on approximately 900 radio outlets worldwide.
Hunt grew up in Dallas, where she attended the Hockaday School. Hunt then graduated from Southern Methodist University in 1966 with a Bachelor of Music degree, and later earned a Master of Arts degree in Counseling from Criswell College,
Hunt initially worked as Junior High Division Director—and later as College & Career Director—at First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas, overseeing the spiritual formation of 1,200 members combined. In these roles, she was often called on to answer questions from students and parents about Christian living. Later, as a conference speaker, she was likewise approached by conference-goers to answer questions about “what the Bible has to say” on a myriad of topics.
To respond to these questions, Hunt created curriculum for a multi-year Bible survey course. Between 1989 and 1992, she developed and taught Counseling Through The Bible, a scripturally-based counseling course addressing 100 topics in categories such as marriage and family, rocky relationships, emotional entrapments, Christian apologetics, as well as addictions and abuse. Since then, the coursework has been continuously refined to form the basis for the Biblical Counseling Library, composed of 100 topical training manuals, each called Biblical Counseling Keys.
The Counseling Library has served as the foundation of the ministry’s steady expansion, including the 2002 creation of the Hope Biblical Counseling Institute (BCI). Initiated by Dallas’ Criswell College, the Institute equips spiritual leaders, counselors, and other caring people to find solutions for emotional, relational and spiritual problems.
During this time, Hunt also appeared as a guest on numerous national TV and radio programs, including NBC’s Today Show. She also toured overseas with the USO and was a guest soloist with the Billy Graham Crusades.
Hope For The Heart
Hope For The Heart’s Biblical Counseling Library provides a foundation for Hunt’s two daily radio programs, Hope For The Heart and Hope In The Night. Hope For The Heart is a half-hour of interactive teaching. Hope In The Night is a live two-hour call-in counseling program. Together, the programs air worldwide on nearly 900 radio outlets.
The ministry is growing internationally as the Biblical Counseling Keys have been published in 27 languages and are being translated into many more. They can be found in more than 60 countries on six continents. HOPE-sponsored walk-in counseling centers operate internationally. In Canada, the ministry airs a Chinese language version of HOPE’s radio briefs, Moment of Hope, and sponsors a call center through which Chinese-speaking listeners receive biblical counsel.
In 2008, Hope For The Heart created a new Chair of Biblical Counseling at Criswell College. The Biblical Counseling Library is required curriculum for counseling students enrolled in this program.
Hunt is the founder and CEO of The Hope Center in Plano, Texas, a permanent home for nearly 50 nonprofit Christian ministries that share common space, a technology backbone, and amenities under one roof. Hope For The Heart is the Center’s anchor tenant and offers walk-in counseling by appointment at the Center.
Hunt has been a regular guest professor at colleges and seminaries. She trains peers annually at the American Association of Christian Counselors conference and speaks at numerous other national and international conferences, as well as religious and broadcasting events each year on topics such as forgiveness, anger, fear, childhood sexual abuse, and domestic violence.
In 2011, her article “Beyond Cancer: A Survivor’s Story”, appeared in the Vol. 18 No. 1 issue of the American Association of Christian Counseling magazine Christian Counseling Today.
Awards & Honors
- 1986: Hope For The Heart radio broadcast, Genesis Award, “Best New Radio Program”
- 1989: Hope For The Heart radio broadcast, “Radio Program of the Year”
- 2010: Hope For The Heart ministry, “Media Award for International Strategic Partnerships”
- 2011: June Hunt, “Board of Directors Award”
- 2012: Hope For The Heart ministry, “Radio Impact Award”
- 1991: June Hunt, honorary Doctor of Law degree, Criswell College
- 1993: June Hunt, honorary Doctorate in Literature, Dallas Baptist University
- 2002: Selected Biblical Counseling Keys, translated into Russian, “Best Inspirational Book of the Year”
- 2008: June Hunt, “Excellence in Communications Award,” Women in Christian Media
- 2008: June Hunt, “Reintegration Award,” Eli Lilly
- 2011: June Hunt, “Caregiver Award,” American Association of Christian Counselors
- 2012: Advanced Writers & Speakers Association, “Golden Scroll Lifetime Achievement Award”
- Bonding with Your Teen through Boundaries, ISBN 978-1-4335-1620-7
- Caring for a Loved One with Cancer, ISBN 978-1-4335-2707-4
- Counseling Through Your Bible Handbook, ISBN 978-0-7369-2181-7
- Hope For Your Heart: Finding Strength in Life’s Storms, ISBN 978-1-4335-0397-9
- How to Defeat Harmful Habits: Freedom from Six Addictive Behaviors, ISBN 978-0-7369-2329-3
- How to Forgive ... When You Don’t Feel Like It, ISBN 978-0-7369-2148-0
- How to Handle Your Emotions, ISBN 978-0-7369-2328-6
- How to Rise Above Abuse, ISBN 978-0-7369-2333-0
- Keeping Your Cool … When Your Anger Is Hot!, ISBN 978-0-7369-2424-5
- Seeing Yourself Through God’s Eyes, ISBN 978-0-7369-2425-2
- Men's Trail Guide, ISBN 978-1-9317-3463-9
- How to Deal with Difficult Relationships: Bridging the Gaps That Separate People, ISBN 978-0-7369-2816-8
- Songs of Surrender
- Hymns of Hope
- The Whisper of My Heart
- The Shelter Under His Wings
- The Hope of Christmas
- How to forgive when you don't feel like it, by June Hunt, page 19 (bottom), 224 pages, Harvest House Publishers, published March 1, 2015, previously published June 14, 2007
- "Hope for the Heart's Biblical Counseling Keys". 2011-11-04. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- "Hope for the Heart - Meet June". 2014-02-05. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- SMU M Award Recipients List
- SMU Rotunda Yearbook for 1966
- "Notable Kappa Deltas: June Hunt—Sigma Alpha-Southern Methodist University". 2011-11-04. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "DFW Christian Family: Cover Story June Hunt". 2011-11-04. Archived from the original on 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2011-11-04.