Jurišče (until 2007)
|Traditional region||Inner Carniola|
|Statistical region||Littoral–Inner Carniola|
|• Total||36.77 km2 (14.20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||706.6 m (2,318.2 ft)|
Juršče was first mentioned in written sources as Jurshiz and Jurschiz in 1763–87. The name (a feminine plural) is derived from *Jurišiči, a plural form of the patronymic *Jurišič, based on the personal name Juriša. The name Juriša is derived from Jurij 'George', which also coincidentally matches the patron saint of the village church. However, there is no direct connection between the village name and the church name. The village was officially named Jurišče until 2007, when the name was changed to Juršče.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Pivka municipal site
- Snoj, Marko. 2009. Etimološki slovar slovenskih zemljepisnih imen. Ljubljana: Modrijan and Založba ZRC, p. 180.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia. Juršče. (in Slovene)
- Ordinance on renaming the village of Jurišče to Juršče (in Slovene)
- Koper Diocese list of churches Archived 2009-03-06 at the Wayback Machine.
|This article about the Municipality of Pivka in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|