Durant with the Atlanta Falcons in 2015
|No. 56 Dallas Cowboys|
|Date of birth:||September 21, 1985|
|Place of birth:||Florence, South Carolina|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||230 lb (104 kg)|
|High school:||Florence (SC) Wilson|
|NFL Draft:||2007 / Round: 2 / Pick: 48|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2016|
|Player stats at PFR|
Justin Ryan Durant (born September 21, 1985) is an American football linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft and has also played for the Detroit Lions, and Atlanta Falcons. He played college football at Hampton University.
Durant graduated from Wilson High School in Florence, South Carolina in 2003. While there he was a teammate to Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons. He was a member of the 2002 HSSR All-State team and was twice named to the Region VI Class AAA All-Region team.
Durant played college football at Hampton University. While there he started 39 of 43 games at middle linebacker and finished ranked second in school history with 353 career tackles. He also contributed with 10 sacks, three fumble recoveries and four interceptions. He also became the first player in the history of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference to earn MEAC Defensive Player of the Year honors three times.
Durant was selected by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the second round (48th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft. In four seasons with the Jaguars, he recorded 272 tackles, two interceptions, and two sacks in 50 games played.
On March 27, 2013 Durant signed a two-year, $1.96 million contract with the Dallas Cowboys. The deal included a $400,000 signing bonus. He was named the starter at strongside linebacker from the start of preseason, but experienced an injury filled season. He first suffered a groin injury against the San Diego Chargers, that caused him to miss a game. On November 10 against the New Orleans Saints he injured his hamstring, which cost him three games. He returned to face the Green Bay Packers but reinjured the hamstring. He was placed on the injured reserve list on December 17, after playing in 10 games (six starts) and finishing with 24 tackles (two for loss), two quarterback pressures, a pass defensed and a forced fumble.
In 2014, after Sean Lee was lost for the season, the plan was for Durant to replace him in the middle, until the Cowboys acquired Rolando McClain from the Baltimore Ravens. He was then moved to the weakside linebacker spot and his level of play earned him the defensive captain role. He was having arguably the best season of his career and was the team's leading tackler, until suffering a torn bicep in Week 8. He also missed two games with a groin injury. He finished with 59 tackles (four for loss), four passes defensed, two quarterback hurries, an interception, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.
On March 10, 2015, Durant was signed as a free agent by the Atlanta Falcons, with the intention of making him their starting strongside linebacker. He had injury problems in preseason with his foot. In October, he suffered a sprained elbow that forced him to miss three games. He finished with 82 tackles (second on the team) and three passes defensed. He was released on February 8, 2016.
Dallas Cowboys (second stint)
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- "Justin Durant". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Detroit Lions sum up first official practice: 'Crisp' MLive.com July 29, 2011
- "Justin Durant Will Join Dallas Cowboys". Dallas Cowboys 101. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- Watkins, Calvins (2013-12-17). "Cowboys place Justin Durant on IR". ESPN. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- Archer, Todd (2014-10-21). "Justin Durant a big part of Cowboys' rising defense". ESPN. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- Watkins, Calvin (2014-10-30). "Cowboys lose leading tackler". ESPN. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- Ledbetter, D. Orlando. "Falcons to sign linebackers Brooks Reed, Justin Durant; Morgan to visit". AJC.com. Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Adams, Jay (March 10, 2015). "Falcons Agree to Terms with Four Players". AtlantaFalcons.com. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- Thomas, Jeanna (2015-10-05). "Dan Quinn on yesterday's win and Justin Durant's injury". The Falcoholic. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- McClure, Vaughn (2016-02-08). "William Moore, Justin Durant released by Falcons". ESPN. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- Shook, Nick (2016-07-18). "Justin Durant joins Dallas Cowboys on one-year deal". NFL.com. Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- "Justin Durant Sats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 10 February 2015.