|Born||Karupadnna, Kodungallur, Kerala|
|Occupation||Journalist, Media Personality, Film Director, Actor|
Founder AsianetChairman, Asian College of Journalism.
Sashi Kumar is a prominent media personality from Kerala, India. He is the founder of India’s first regional satellite TV channel Asianet. He founded and chairs the Media Development Foundation, the not for profit public trust which set up and runs the prestigious Asian College of Journalism in Chennai. He was the first West Asia correspondent of The Hindu in the mid eighties. He directed the film Kaya Taran in Hindi based on the short story "When Big Trees Fall" by writer N.S Madhavan. He is currently the chairman of Asian College of Journalism.
Sashi Kumar was born at Karupadanna near Kodungallur in Thrissur District of Kerala. He completed his graduation from Loyola college, and took post graduation in history from Madras Christian College. Sashi Kumar started his career in Dooradharshan as a newsreader and producer. Later he worked in PTI-TV as chief producer and general manager of PTI. He authored and presented independent programs on the economy, politics and culture on Indian television like Money Matters, Tana Bana and Jan Manch. Sashi Kumar is a well known film maker as well. He scripted and directed Kaya Taran (Chrysalis) in Hindi based on the story "When Big Trees Fall" by writer N. S. Madhavan. The film won him the G. Aravindan award as the best debut filmmaker of 2004. He acted in Malayalam movies, Iniyum Marichittillatha Nammal, Balyakalasakhi, Loudspeaker, Ennu Ninte Moideen and Love 24x7.
- Founder of Asianet
- Member, Empowered Committee on Information, Communication & Technology (ICE), Prime Minister’s Office, New Delhi.
- Member,India Director on the Board of Real News – Independent World Television.
- Member of the Anjuman (court) of the Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi, South Asia Foundation (SAF).
- Chairman, Asian College of Journalism
- Unmediated: Essays on Media, Culture and Cinema, Tulika Books, 2014
- Viayaraghavan Memorial Award for contribution to journalism,2007
- G. Aravindan award for Best Debut Filmmaker of 2004 for Kaya Taran
- Samakalika Malayalam weekly, 2010 August 20 Onam special edition An interview with Sashi Kumar By O.K Johny-"malayalathinte pinvilikal" page 28-39 (Malayalam)
- Welcome to Cerebrate
- 'No difference between Godhra & 1984 riots'
- Welcome to Amrita TV - Best Citizen Journalist 3
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sashi Kumar.|