V. N. Ranjith Kumar
Daniel Annie Pope
|Cinematography||Jemin Jom Ayyaneth|
|Edited by||Vijay Velukutty|
|23 February 2018|
Kaathadi (lit.: Kite) is a 2018 Indian Tamil-language comedy drama film directed by Kalyaan. The film stars Avishek Karthik and Sai Dhanshika in the leading roles, while John Vijay, Sampath Raj and Kota Srinivasa Rao all play supporting roles. Featuring music composed by newcomers Pavan and Deepan, the film began production during August 2015 and had a theatrical release on 23 February 2018.
Kalyaan, a former participant on the reality show Naalaiya Iyakkunar, began making his directorial debut film, Kaathadi, during October 2014. Sai Dhanshika was signed on to play a police officer, while Avishek Karthik, previously seen in Gautham Menon's Vaaranam Aayiram (2008) and Nadunisi Naaygal (2011), was selected to portray the lead actor. Dhanshika suggested the makers chose her for the role because of her height, and partook in the action scenes without a stunt double. The film began production in late 2014 and was revealed to be in post-production by October 2015. The movie was shot extensively in Chennai, Kerala and Yelagiri hills. During the shoot at Vagamon in Kerala, a group of drunkards came to the spot and briefly caused trouble before Dhanshika helped halt the issue.
A long delay before the release of the film meant that two other films of Kalyaan, Kadha Solla Porom (2016) and Gulaebaghavali (2018), were released before Kaathadi. Sai Dhanshika also gained further popularity between the end of production and the release of the film, following her appearance in the Rajinikanth-starrer Kabali (2016). In between, she also worked on Uru (2017), a film by Vicky Anand, who worked as an assistant to Kalyaan during the making of Kaathadi.
|Soundtrack album by R. Pavan—Deepan B.|
|Released||3 June 2016|
The film's music was composed by debutants R. Pavan and Deepan. The soundtrack was released on 3 June 2016 through Musik247.
|1.||"Adada Daa"||Mohan Rajan||R. Pavan||Madhu Balakrishnan||4:49|
|3.||"Thaaye Thaaye"||Ganesh Raja||Deepan||Anu||2:24|
|4.||"Orphans Cry"||—||Deepan||Balaji, Kamalakar||1:55|
|5.||"Vaama Vaama"||Mohan Rajan||R. Pavan||Mohanrajan||3:02|
|6.||"Pain and Misery"||—||R. Pavan||—||1:43|
- "Kaathadi Movie Details". The Times of India.
- "Interview of Kabali actress Dhansika". The Hindu.
- "Dhansika does daredevil stunts in Kaathadi". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Dhansika plays cop Kaathadi". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Dhansika - Kaathadi". The Times of India.
- "Kaathadi is Dhansika's next". The Hindu.
- "Dhansika plays a cop in her next". The Times of India.
- "I defended myself from Drunkards using Silamban". Deccan Chronicle.
- "When Dhansikaa taught drunk fans a lesson". Bollywood Life.
- "Kabali success has transformed my career". New Indian Express.
- "Kabali has been a game changer for me". New Indian Express.