Kakambal ni Eliana
|Kakambal ni Eliana|
|Also known as||Eliana's Twin|
|Developed by||Des Garbes Severino|
|Directed by||Roderick Lindayag|
|Creative director(s)||Jun Lana|
|Opening theme||"Kung Alam Mo Lang" by Maricris Garcia|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||93|
|Executive producer(s)||Jojo T. Aleta|
|Cinematography||Patrick Jess Ferrer|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||GMA Entertainment TV|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||April 15– August 23, 2013|
Kakambal ni Eliana (International title: Eliana's Twin / lit. Twin of Eliana) is a 2013 Philippine television drama fantasy series broadcast by GMA Network. Directed by Roderick Lindayag, it stars Kim Rodriguez. It premiered on April 15, 2013 on the network's Afternoon Prime line up replacing Forever and worldwide on GMA Pinoy TV. The series concluded on August 23, 2013 with a total of 93 episodes. It was replaced by Pyra: Ang Babaeng Apoy in its timeslot.
The story revolves around the life of Eliana, a girl who was born with a black snake attached to her back. The reptile wraps itself around her hand every time she experience extreme emotions like sadness or anger. She spends her life hidden in a basement, until she manages to get away. In the process, she strives to find out the truth about herself and her family.
She will eventually discover new things and meet people that will eventually change her life. In the outside world, she meets new friends and two of them, Gabo and Julian fall in love with her. Gabo is a street-smart lad who accepts Eliana for who she is, while Julian is a fashion photographer who is bewildered by Eliana's beauty, not knowing that she has a snake twin. However, she also meets her rival, Margarita, who is Julian's model-girlfriend and unknown to everyone, her half sister.
Cast and characters
- Kim Rodriguez as Eliana Cascavel-Dominguez
- Born with a snake attached to her spinal cord. The snake comes out from her back and wraps itself around her hand every time she feels extreme emotions. Eliana grew up alone, not knowing anything about the world and not knowing anything about her family as she was left to tend for herself in a small isolated room, in their family's shop. The only thing she knows and talks to is her twin snake. She longs for a family and seeks someone who will love and accept her. Eliana is kind, patient and is always ready to help others who are in need. However, when she was able to get out of the basement, she will discover new things and meet people that will eventually change her life.
- Kristofer Martin as Gabriel "Gabo" Santillan
- Gabo grew up in the streets. Even though he did not finish school, he is street-smart. He will do anything to survive. Gabo is the one who will help and be Eliana's friend when she finally got out of isolation. He was not even scared when he found out that Eliana has a twin snake. He stood by Eliana and will eventually fall in love with her. But he also meets his rival in Eliana's Heart, Julian.
- Enzo Pineda as Julian de Vera
- A budding photographer. He belongs to a loving family. He is quiet and reserved but expresses himself through his photographs. Julian has a girlfriend named Margarita but later on falls in love with Eliana as well. He bewildered by Eliana’s beauty, not knowing that she has a snake twin.
- Lexi Fernandez as Margarita "Marga" Dominguez
- Julian's girlfriend. She's an aspiring model, grew up spoiled and is used to getting everything she wanted. She is very competitive and she'll do anything just to get what she wants. When she sees Julian's fondness and display of affection towards Eliana, she will eventually hate her and make her life hard.
- Jean Garcia as Isabel "Bel" Cascavel-Dominguez (formerly Monteverde)
- The daughter of rich couple, Eddie and Aurora, who are against her love affair with the poor Eman. The latter gets her pregnant but her parents take her away while Eman is seduced by the villain Nora, who he marries. Nora pushes Isabel into a snake pit and gets bitten by a snake. When she gives birth, her baby has a snake on its back. Her parents make her believe that her baby is dead then hides the baby in their basement. At present, she is happily married to Basti Monteverde and works as the president of "Cascavel Shoemart", the business established by her parents.
- Jomari Yllana as Emmanuel "Eman" Dominguez
- Isabel's old flame and the estranged father of Eliana. Eman is a soft-spoken and very industrious man who came from a poor family. In the wake of his doomed affair with Isabel, Eman is forced into a loveless marriage with Nora, to whom he has a daughter –Margarita. Through sheer diligence and determination, he raised himself from a lowly worker to a shoe magnate.
- Chynna Ortaleza as Minerva
- The sister of Nora, Eman's wife. She is described as scheming, ambitious and greedy. She protects her niece, Margarita and usually helps her in her schemes against Eliana. In her quest for power, she lets herself be bitten by her pet "itim na serpente" (a magical black serpent) and transformed into a snake monster in the latter part of the series. She was killed by Naja in the finale of the series.
- Isabel's loving and protective parents, and grandparents to Eliana. Owner of the famous "Cascavel Shoemart", Eddie treats Eliana as a precious gem for he believes that the latter is their lucky charm that brings good luck in the family and business. However, Aurora sees Eliana as a monster and treats her with contempt and spite. Aurora repented and change her ways in the end.
- Sherwin Revister (voice actor) as Naja
- Eliana's twin snake. Naja is attached on Eliana's back and share one spinal cord. Naja comes out and wraps itself around Eliana's hand every time the latter experiences extreme sadness or anger. In the end, after killing Minerva, she also died and was removed in Eliana's spinal cord.
- Antonio Aquitania as Sebastian "Basti" Monteverde
- Isabel's caring and understanding husband. He was killed by Minerva in the finale after protecting Eliana.
- Sherilyn Reyes-Tan as Nora Dominguez
- Eman's evil wife and mother to Margarita. She was killed in a scheme of a burning house she planned for Eliana and Isabel.
- Carlene Aguilar as Angie De Vera
- Isabel's best friend and mother to Julian.
- Jay-R as Nathan De Vera
- Julian's uncle and confidant.
- Ernie Garcia as Samuel Dominguez
- Eman's supportive father.
- Carmen Soriano as Donya Henrietta Monteverde
- Basti's arrogant mother.
- Mosang as Aling Tetay
- The Domiguez's maidservant who eventually becomes Eliana's trusted friend.
- Rez Cortez as Prof. Banal
- The evil scientist who wants to capture Eliana to experiment.
- Aicelle Santos as Dr. Kate Banal
- Prof. Banal's niece and trusted servant.
- Sue Prado as Cora
- Hired by Aurora to be the fake mother of Eliana.
- Anette Samin as Claire Cascavel
- Hired by Basti to be the fake daughter of Isabel.
- Marnie Lapuz as Mrs. San Jose
- Cascavel's client who witnessed Eliana's transformation.
Production and development
Screenwriter, Des Garbes Severino conceptualized and developed the series in mid-2011, initially titled as "Serpentina". The idea for the series is inspired from the urban myth—that has been around since the 80's—about the daughter of a mall owner who has a snake twin and dwells in a secret room/basement of the mall. The title later change to Kakambal ni Eliana.
The fantasy-drama series used—although not the first to do so—and embraced the concept of Pinoy komiks (comics). The title card, recap sequences and cliffhanger screen and the opening and closing credits were komiks-inspired.
The majority of the cast was assembled from February to March 2013. Kim Rodriguez, Kristofer Martin, Enzo Pineda and Lexi Fernandez were all chosen to portray the four main characters in the series. Rodriguez was cast to portray the title role Eliana, a girl who was born with a twin snake attached on her back. Martin and Pineda were chosen to play Gabo and Julian, respectively, Eliana's love interests; while Fernandez was cast as Margarita, Eliana's formidable rival. Part of regular cast include Jean Garcia and Jomari Yllana as Isabel and Eman, respectively, Eliana's estranged parents; Leo Martinez and Eva Darren as Don Eddie and Doña Aurora, respectively, Eliana's grandparents; and Chynna Ortaleza as Minerva, Margarita's aunt and the primary antagonist of the series.
The production began in March 2013. Most of the series' scenes were shot on location in Quezon City. Other filming locations include Marikina and Subic, Zambales. The network released a two-minute sneak peek/trailer on April 11, 2013. The show premiered on April 15 on the network's coveted Afternoon Prime block at 3:15 p.m. timeslot.
Originally slated to run for sixteen weeks, the show was awarded several extensions because of positive feedback and good performance in the ratings game.
- Tuazon, Nikko (April 18, 2013). "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila Household Ratings (April 15 to 16): Indio closes in on Ina Kapatid Anak". Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- Tuazon, Nikko (August 30, 2013). "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila Household Ratings (August 19 to 25, 2013): Huwag Ka Lang Mawawala ends with 24.9 percent; 24 Oras was most-watched primetime program". Retrieved March 1, 2018.