Kalishankar or Kalisankar (Bengali: কালিশঙ্কর,Odia: କାଳୀ ଶଂକର) is the bilingual film in Oriya and Bengali language by director Prashanta Nanda in 2007. This Bengali-Oriya film is a remake of Rakesh Roshan's film Karan Arjun on the theme of reincarnation. Director Prashant Nanda turned the story around: Instead of being the story of the offspring (played by Salman Khan and Shahrukh Khan in the original) it is the story of a pair of grandchildren and their grandfather's revenge on their wrongdoers. He plays the grandfather. The film has much stick-wielding action. Kalishankar is similar to old Manmohan Desai films wherein brothers separated in childhood grow up to find themselves on two sides of the fence. Then, when they recognise their blood link through a birthmark or a talisman, they join forces to fight the enemy together.
Kali, Shankar and Tithi are the three motherless children of the acting priest of a local Krishna temple in an anonymous small town/village in West Bengal or Odisha (differing between the language versions). The local MLA Debu Soren’s henchmen kill their father because he insists on standing witness in court against a murder committed at Soren’s behest. Kali, the elder brother, kills the corrupt lawyer as he walks out of the courtroom after the judge has delivered his judgement. Kali goes to jail for ten years. Shankar meets with a freak accident and is brought up by a local Muslim fakir. But the accident has left him with a memory loss and a penchant for violence. He grows up to be one of Debu Soren’s favourite henchmen. The little girl Tithi, who is picked off the streets by the maid of Debu’s mistress, grows up to become a wayward girl on the verge of turning alcoholic.
After ten long years, Kali is released. He returns to the temple to meet his grandfather who was away when Kali’s father was killed. The grandfather, a temple priest, encourages the grandson to avenge his father’s death. Kali, Shankar and Tithi are united and from then on, it is one long chain networking of maramari, dishoom-dishoom, blood and gore and the killing of the criminals one after the other in the same way their father was killed - by electric shock. The two young men come home to roost and it is one big happy family in the temple with their two girlfriends pitching in and Tithi hoping to tie the knot with the handsome young police officer.
|Directed by||Prashanta Nanda|
|Music by||Prashanta Nanda
Kalishankar (Bengali: কালিশঙ্কর)is a 2007 starred Prasenjit Chatterjee, Anu Chowdhury, Anuvab Mohanty, Jisshu Sengupta, Ashish Vidyarthi, Swastika Mukherjee and Victor Banerjee. Shoma A. Chatterji of www.screenindia.com commented that this movie is Manmohan Desai wine in Bengali bottle.
- Prasenjit Chatterjee .... Kali
- Anuvab Mohanty .... Shankar
- Ashish Vidyarthi .... Debu Soren
- Anu Chowdhury .... Lover of Kali
- Swastika Mukherjee .... Lover of Shankar
- Jisshu Sengupta .... Policeman
- Victor Banerjee .... Grandfather of Kali and Shankar
- Sagarika .... Tithi
- Rajatabha Dutta .... Gittu Hotelwalla
- Laboni Sarkar
- Shankar Chakraborty
- Siddhanta Mahapatra as Kali
- Anu Chowdhury
- Anuvab Mohanty as Shankar
- Arindam Roy as police officer
- Meghna Mishra as Tithi
- Mihir Das as priest
- Bijay Mohanty as grandfather
- Ashish Vidyarthi as MLA Debu Soren
- Chota chota
- De daru
- Jhip jhip barsa
- Megha bijuli
- Rati helani
- "Bollywood News-Victor Bannerjee-Kali Shankar-Karan Arjun-Bengali Oriya Film". entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- "Kali-Shankar:Manmohan Desai wine in Bengali bottle". www.screenindia.com. Retrieved 2009-02-10.
- ""Kali Shankar" features Ashish Vidyarthi, authored by Ashok Palit".