Kalyan Chakravarthy Kankanala
Kalyan Chakravarthy Kankanala
|Born||4 July 1978 (age 42)|
|Alma mater||National Law School of India University|
Franklin Pierce Law Center
|Occupation||IP Attorney, Author|
|Website||Kalyan C Kankanala|
Kalyan Chakravarthy Kankanala (born 4 July 1978 in Gurazala, Andhra Pradesh) is an Indian author and intellectual property attorney. He writes both non-fictional and fictional books on intellectual property and patent law. Kalyan is an Advisory Board member of the Centre for Excellence in IP and Standards at National Law School of India University.
Kankanala attended Loyola Public School near Guntur, India, after which he went to a medical school. A genetic eye disorder characterized by progressive loss of vision, forced him to pull out of the medical course, following which he decided to pursue law. He holds a Bachelor in Law Degree from Osmania University and Masters in Intellectual Property Law Degree at the Franklin Pierce Law Center. He obtained a Doctorate Degree in Patent Law, with specialization in Genomics from the National Law School of India University, Bangalore.
Subsequently, he ventured into legal fiction. His first fiction novel, Road Humps and Sidewalks, was a legal thriller about pharmaceutical drugs, patents and healthcare, all highly debated topics in the Indian context. Kalyan's second legal thriller, Pirates of Bollywood, premised on film production, piracy and organized crime, released on 1 January 2015. He releases audio versions of his literary works for the benefit of the visually challenged.
Kankanala is currently the Senior Partner, Chief IP Attorney of an intellectual property firm that he founded, BananaIP Counsels, Headquartered in Bangalore, India. He consults for the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), and also teaches IP courses at the National Law School of India University, Bangalore, as well as the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore.
- Genetic Patent Law and Strategy (2007) ISBN 978-8189542269
- Indian Patent Law and Practice (2011) ISBN 978-0198089605
- IP Client Strategies in the Asia-Pacific (2011) ISBN 978-0314277619
- Fun IP, Fundamentals of Intellectual Property (2012) ISBN 978-9350678886
- Road Humps and Sidewalks – Patent Law Thriller (2013) ISBN 978-1492886419
- How many are these? (2014) ISBN 978-9383701087
- Pirates of Bollywood – Copyright Law Thriller (2015) ISBN 978-9351963271
- The Oath: When Medicine Clashes with Law (2016) ISBN 978-1530889976
- "Kalyan Kankanala Author of Road Humps and Sidewalks". thehindu.com. The Hindu. 7 November 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kalyan C. Kankanala, Managing Partner, Banana IP Counsels on building a career in IPR and writing novels". superlawyer.in. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 19 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "India Law Journal – Book Review". indialawjournal.com. Retrieved 19 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Hindu – Books Columns".
- "Of a doctor caught 'tween an oath and law of the land". newindianexpress.com. 22 June 2016. Retrieved 19 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bengaluru-based infotech firms among top filers for patents". thehindu.com. The Hindu. 22 June 2015. Retrieved 19 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Hindu – Karnataka, Rush for patents".
- Natti, Sunitha (4 May 2014). "India Shaken But Not Stirred by US Concerns About Patents". New Indian Express. Retrieved 9 December 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Natti, Sunitha (11 January 2015). "More Spends on Patents Needed". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 9 December 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)