Kanchō (カンチョー) is a prank performed by clasping the hands together in the shape of an imaginary gun and attempting to poke an unsuspecting victim's anus, often while exclaiming "Kan-CHO!". It is a common prank among children in East Asia such as Japan, Korea, Thailand and Taiwan. In Korea it is called ddongchim (Korean: 똥침) In Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries, it is often referred to as Saca cacas. In Taiwan, it is popularly called Qiānnián shā (Chinese: 千年殺), derived from the full Japanese name of the skill "Leaf village's secret finger jutsu: A thousand years of death" (木の葉隠れ秘伝体術奥義：千年殺し Konohakagure hiden taijutsu ōgi: Sennen Goroshi); this term derives from the popular Naruto franchise, where Kakashi Hatake uses an enhanced version of the prank on the eponymous protagonist during his ninja training. The word is a slang adoption of the Japanese word for enema (浣腸 kanchō). In accordance with widespread practice, the word is generally written in katakana when used in its slang sense, and in kanji when used for enemas in the medical sense.
In Japan multiple people have died or been injured by having compressed air being blasted into their anus; kanchō is stated to have set a cultural precedent for this phenomenon. Because the act involves forced physical contact and can cause physical pain, it could be considered a form of physical assault or sexual assault, meaning the "prankster" could be charged with a crime.
- Boong-Ga Boong-Ga, a video game for the Korean and Japanese market that allows the player to engage in simulated kanchō.
- List of school pranks
- School bullying
- Sexual assault
- Ashcraft, Brian; Snow, Jean (2008). Arcade Mania!: The Turbo-charged World of Japan's Game Centers. Kodansha International. p. [page needed]. ISBN 978-4-7700-3078-8. (noting that the prank is popular among schoolchildren)
- Tomochika (31 May 2008). ""Kanchō!" wa ikite ita". Asahi Shimbun.
- Garrido, Ben (28 January 2010). "Stranger in a strange land". Reno News & Review. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- 「カンチョー少年の像」の躍動感がハンパない. RocketNews24 (in Japanese). 6 May 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-05.
- Yado, ed. (1 December 2017). "12 juegos homoeróticos que juegas con tus compas que no sabías que son homoeróticos". El Deforma (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2017-12-07.
- "癱父便秘 孝女討教遭推拿師「千年殺」". Liberty Times (in Chinese). 12 April 2015. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- Makihara, Kumiko (23 July 2009). "My Un-American Son". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- Adelstein, Jake (14 July 2018). "Man arrested for killing friend by blasting compressed air up rectum". Asia Times. Retrieved 2019-09-30.
- Castillo, Adriana (6 April 2019). "Beware of Kancho: Sexual Harassment or a Game? Naruto the Movie". Educator Talk. Retrieved 2019-09-30.[better source needed]