September 22, 1987 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Eye color||Dark brown|
Kang Seung-Hyun (born 22 September 1987), commonly known as Hyoni Kang, is a Korean fashion model who won Ford's Supermodel of the World title in 2008 at the age of 19. She is the first Asian model to win this award.
Hyoni officially debuted as a model as she opened the fall 3.1Phillip Lim in New York City in February 2008. In September 2008, she opened the springTrovata show and closed the spring Nanette Lepore show in New York. She also walked for 3.1 Phillip Lim, DKNY, Halston, and Michael Kors. In February 2009, Hyoni walked the fall 3.1 Phillip Lim, Badgley Mischka, Tory Burch, Roksanda Ilincic, and House of Holland shows in New York and London. In February 2010, Hyoni opened the fall Maria Cornejo and Osman Yousefzada shows in New York and London, and she also closed for Karen Walker and Amanda Wakeley.
Not only did Hyoni walked on runways, she also had many photo shoots for world-famous magazines. In April 2008, Hyoni was featured on first major cover of Korean Vogue. In July of the same year, she appeared in V editorial, styled in Gucci. A month later in August, Hyoni appeared in Teen Vogue editorial. In July 2010, she appeared in Marie Claire editorial. And in March, September, and October 2011, Hyoni appeared in Chinese Vogue.
Hyoni launched a vintage fashion brand called Reborn Process on December 2009. She started the business with Yoon Ae-Ri, a stylist whom Hyoni got to know at Ford Modeling competition, and Lee Jun-Yeop, a photographer and film maker. Instead of showcasing few collections before opening a boutique, Hyoni first opened her store and started working on the collection after Reborn Process became renowned. Hyoni redesigns and remakes new pieces with items thrifted mainly from Los Angeles, San Diego, and New York to fit today's style and taste. She wishes to make her collection "one of a kind" and wants Reborn Process to develop into a multi brand shop. Her boutique is located in SoHo, New York.
Hyoni collaborated with a Korean fashion brand called Love Cat. She designed bags under Hyoni-line while she traveled back and forth from New York to Seoul, Korea. This limited edition bag, which was released in September 2011, was popular as a 'must have it item' because of its chic and romantic design as well as its practical aspect in which one can either adjust the straps to different lengths, use another chain strap that comes with the bag, or even take all the straps off and use the bag as a clutch.
Also, it has been recently announced in April 2013 that Hyoni will collaborate with a Korean fashion brand called Lapalette to create a special line of handbags. Hyoni-designed bags are to be released on June 2013. Once released, Hyoni's new line can be purchased here:  
Hyoni TV is a fashion film that started in May 2012, written, directed, produced, and hosted by Hyoni herself.  Hyoni TV was shot in New York and Hyoni explained New Yorker's style and gave styling tips. In her film, Hyoni also introduced famous fashion people such as Eva Chen, Teen Vogue editor, and Shu Pei Quin, a model.
TV show host
Hyoni was featured in a Korean fashion TV show, Get It Style, as a main host. This program that aimed to become "the Style Bible"  was first aired on February 7, 2013. It was originally designed to have only four episodes; however, due to its popularity, the directors extended the show to have six additional episodes. In Get It Style, Hyoni not only simply stated the general fashion trend of what is in and what is out today, but also introduced items that fits different individual's style and how to style accordingly to different occasions. She also gave advice on how to utilize one's currently-owned item and shop wisely.
Other TV appearances
Before hosting the show Get It Style, Hyoni appeared in TV few times. She was MC for a show called Trend Report Feel season 6 (In New York)  and appeared in an episode of Korean reality TV show, Muhan Dojeon, also known as Infinite Challenge, on December 5, 2009. Hyoni was also featured in Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation's Never Ending Story and Korean Broadcasting System's Global Success Time Period of Kang Seung-Hyun episode. On July 2014, she appeared on the world-famous SBS's Running Man (TV series).
|2015||We Broke Up||Yoon Ni-na||CJ E&M Web-Drama||2nd Lead Role|
|High Society||Beauty&Beauty MC||SBS||Cameo (Episode 15)|
|2015||Beauty Bible 2015 S/S||MC||KBS|
|Off to School||Guest (Ep. 52-54)||JTBC|
|2014||Running Man||Guest (Ep. 205)||SBS|
|2016||Running Man||Guest (Ep. 318)||SBS|
- Meet the New Girl: Hyoni Kang March 8, 2008.
- "Hyoni Kang". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Hyoni Kang's Career Highlights". New York Fashion Show. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- Top Model Kang Seung Hyun Makes A Contract With YG KPLUS
- "Kang Seung Hyun becomes Model, Designer, and Entrepreneur at Age 24". Nate News. 16 July 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Kang Seung Hyun, Debut as a Designer, "Be on the Lookout for Hyoni Bag!"". International BNT News Korea. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Fashion Icon, Kang Seung Hyun, Meets Love Cat!". International BNT News Korea. 10 September 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Ford Supermodel Hyoni Kang to Design Bags for Lapalette". Blouin Artinfo. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Lapallete x Kang Seung Hyun". Lapalette. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "What's Top Model Kang Seung Hyun's 'It Item' in Hyoni TV?". International BNT News Korea. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Behind Story- Styling Suggestion". Hyoni TV. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "[Exclusive] 6 More Additional Get It Style Episodes Thanks to Positive Feedbacks". TV Report. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Kang Seung Hyun Chosen for Get It Style's Host, "The First Program with My Name"". Asia Finance. 21 January 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Kang Seung Hyun". Inoyh Media. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Gil from 'Muhan Dojeon' Takes a Photo Shoot with International Top Model Kang Seung Hyun". Newsen. 5 December 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2013.