This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Known for||Bangistan | Inside Edge | Kashmirnāmā|
|Awards||ITA Award for Best Director – Web Series|
Karan Anshuman (born 1980) is an Indian film writer, director, and producer. He is the creator and director of Emmy-nominated drama film Inside Edge. He is also the director and writer of Bangistan and the creator, director, and writer of Mirzapur. He is the co-founder of two digital initiatives: Dreamscape Media, a web and mobile development agency; and Upperstall.com, a film portal that takes a serious look at Indian cinema.
Anshuman was raised in Mumbai, and after finishing his schooling at Jamnabai Narsee School, he went to St Xaviers' College and then to Denison University in the United States to pursue an undergraduate degree in filmmaking.
Even though he studied film as an undergraduate, technologically-inclined Anshuman co-founded Dreamscape Media in 2004 – a digital agency in the business of creation of web and mobile apps, and online marketing and communication.
In 2011, Anshuman began his career as a film critic with Mumbai Mirror, where he was known for his innovative style of reviewing.
Anshuman made his directorial debut with Bangistan in 2015, which released across 700 screens in India. The Guardian called it a "sly suicide-bomber comedy" with "always something to chuckle at in" and that Anshuman "approaches his task with smarts and sensitivity".
His next big project was Amazon Prime's first Indian web series Inside Edge. Produced by Excel Entertainment, the show aired its first season in 2017 with much fanfare. The series became the most watched show on Amazon Prime and won him the ITA Award for Best Director – Web Series along with Best Show. The show has also been nominated for the 2018 International Emmy Award in the Best Drama category. Firstpost's review mentioned, "Kudos to Karan Anshuman (the creator and director of the series) for making some of best sequences I've seen on the small screen. Not only are they very well edited (each episode starts and ends with a bang), they are superbly shot too. Inside Edge has an IMDb rating of 8.2.
Teaming up with Excel and Amazon again, Anshuman is the showrunner for Mirzapur, a hinterland gangster drama set in the badlands of eastern Uttar Pradesh, dealing with the illegal arms trade and drug smuggling. Mirzapur released worldwide on November 16, 2018.
Awards & Achievements
- Anshuman was named by GQ in GQ’s 50 Most Influential Young Indians of 2018, recognising his talents as a writer, director and showrunner.
- ITA Award for Best Director – Web Series for Inside Edge (2017).
- McCahill, Mike (2015-08-08). "Bangistan review – always something to chuckle at in sly suicide-bomber comedy". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Indian Television Academy Awards 2017 : The Complete List of the One's who bagged the awards for the night - Bollywoodlife.com". Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- Clarke, Stewart (2018-09-27). "International Emmy Award Nominations Unveiled". Variety. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- "Inside Edge review: A saucy insider take on the edgy world of cricket, movies and the lust for power- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- Inside Edge, retrieved 2018-10-30
- "Farhan Akhtar at Kashmirnama's book launch". www.santabanta.com. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- "GQ's 50 Most Influential Young Indians of 2018". GQ India. 2018-12-05. Retrieved 2018-12-07.