Jamnabai Narsee School
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Jamnabai Narsee School|
|Motto||'Vidya Param Balam'
('Knowledge is Strength Supreme.')
|Area trustee||Narsee Monjee Educational Trust|
|Principal||Zeenat Bhojaboy and Jasmine Madhani(International school)|
|Grades||Nursery school – 12th Standard|
|Number of students||5000+|
Jamnabai Narsee School is a private school in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. It was founded on 17 January 1971 and is managed by the Narsee Monjee Education Trust. The school building is unusual and unique in architecture with three clusters of hexagonal classrooms, each with a central foyer. The school is attended by children from all over Mumbai, and its alumni include several famous dignitaries and celebrities.
Jamnabai Narsee School was founded on 17 January 1971. It was established and managed by the Narsee Monjee Educational Trust. It is a co-educational, English medium school.
This school is an 'Unaided Linguistic-Minority Institution', affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations-New Delhi, and to International Baccalaureate Organisation, Geneva preparing students for the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) Examination at the end of the 10th grade and the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IBDP) at the end of the 12th. The school has a track record of academic excellence as well as co-curricular competency in art, sports and other creative fields, thus nurturing the child's interests in every aspect.
The motto of the school is "Vidya Param Balama" which means "Knowledge is Strength Supreme". The guiding principle of the school is "Let learning be a joy and teaching be a pleasure" where opportunities are provided leading to the process of self-improvement.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- 1971 Inauguration of the School - I.C.S.E and S.S.C. streams; introduction of the house system; start of Health Care Unit.
- 1972 Inauguration of the Math Laboratory
- 1974 Election of student council
- 1979 Inception of the Parent - Teacher Association
- 1984 Inception of the Jamnabai Narsee Alumni Association; first issue of the directory of the graduating class titled SMRUTI
- 1987 Celebration of the Centenary Year of Shri Narsee Monjee; starting of the Narsee Monjee Inter- School Hindi Elocution
- 1988 Inauguration of the Computer Section
- 1991 Inauguration of the Social Studies Room
- 1992 Hosting of the All India Conference of the Principals of ICSE Schools.
- 1993 Inauguration of the Audio - Visual Room; starting the 'CASCADE' festival by J.N.A.A.
- 1996 Celebration of the Silver Jubilee Year
- 1997 Establishment of the Reading Rooms in the Dixit Road Municipal School, Vile Parle (East) by the P.T.A
- 1999 Starting of the Dyslexia Awareness Programme
- 2000 Inauguration of the Life Enrichment Centre; inauguration of Activity Centre for pre-school; inauguration of Science Activity Centre
- 2005 Inauguration of IB Diploma Programme for Grade 11 and 12.
- 2006 Celebration of Coral Jubilee - 35 years; addition of 5th and 6th floors; starting the Resource Centre or handicapped students.
- 2007 Inauguration of the Activity Room; inception of the International General Certificate of Secondary Education Programme -CHECKPOINT - Std 8; Inception of Std. 11 - ISC - Arts and Commerce Stream; established the rainwater harvesting system.
- 2010 First Inter IB School Football (Soccer) Championship. Winning Team was Kodaikanal, coached by Sither.
- 2013 Introduction of a new school uniform for the ICSE students. First ICSE Art Exhibition.
- 2014 Jasmine Madhani inaugurates new academic sweatshop programme.
- 2015 Abhisekh Bachchan inaugurates the NBC Standard basketball court on 4th January.
- 2016 Jamnabai Narsee School organized the 15th Special Sports Meet
The school compound has courts for basketball, volleyball, throwball and handball, to cater to the physical education programme of the school. The school has leased an adjacent public maidan and converted it into a playground for the students.
The building has a total built-up area of 144,000 square feet (13,400 m2) and a carpet area of more than 117,000 square feet (10,900 m2).
The building houses over 72 classrooms each measuring 585 sq ft (54.3 m2) in area, for the students from nursery to Std.XII. In addition to these, there are rooms for academic activities such as the Technical Drawing Room, the Art Room, the Maths Laboratory, the Environmental Science room and rooms for Bharat Natyam, Kathak and folk dance, a library,stationary,copy room,science labs, the sitar room, rooms for Indian and Western Music and 4 modern Computer Centers.
The entire central area in the first floor is the arena for cultural activities. The Physics/Biology/Chemistry laboratories and the Science Activity Center are on second floor. An audio-visual room of around 1,200 sq ft (110 m2). area is situated on the third floor. The school hall with a mezzanine floor caters to the needs of an audience of 750.
The school employs 175 teachers and support staff, and another 100 punes. Enrollment is 5000 students. Every year approximately 290 candidates are prepared and sent up for the ICSE examinations, the highest of any Mumbai school. The principal is Zeenat Bhojaboy(ex-vice principal), who took over the position in 2015.
In the news
The school recently made headlines in newspapers when a mother of a nine-year-old student of the school recently complained to the Maharashtra education department that the institute has been "insensitive" towards her daughter who suffers from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). 
In 2013, a conductor, on a bus service that worked with the school, was convicted for sexually molesting a three-year-old preschool student while she was being dropped home by the school bus.
- Alia Bhatt - Bollywood actress, Mahesh Bhatt's daughter
- Sunny Deol - Bollywood actor, Dharmendra's son
- Bobby Deol - Bollywood actor, Dharmendra's son
- Esha Deol - Bollywood actress, Hema Malini and Dharmendra's daughter
- Abhishek Bachchan - Bollywood actor,Amitabh Bachchan's son Aishwarya Rai’s husband
- Abhay Deol - Bollywood actor of Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! and Dev D fame, Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol's cousin brother and Dharmendra's nephew
- Isha Lakhani - Indian tennis player
- Raveena Tandon - Bollywood actress
- Zayed Khan - Bollywood actor, actor Sanjay Khan's son
- Fardeen Khan - Bollywood actor, actor Feroze Khan'son
- Kareena Kapoor - Bollywood actress, Actor Raj Kapoor's granddaughter
- Kunal Kapoor - Bollywood actor of Rang de Basanti fame
- Vikram Bhatt - Bollywood director
- Harman Baweja - Bollywood actor of Love Story 2050 fame
- Devika Mathur - Canadian Idol finalist
- Minoti Vaishnav - Hollywood screenwriter and singer
- Tulip Joshi - Bollywood actress of Dil Maange More fame
- Shraddha Kapoor - Bollywood actress
- Anmol Malik- Bollywood singer and daughter of Anu Malik
- Ayan Mukerji - Bollywood film director
- Armaan Malik - Bollywood Singer, Song Writer And Son of Dabbu Mallik
- Amaal Mallik - Bollywood music director, Song composer and son of Dabbu Mallik
- "Jamnabai Narsee School". IB World Schools. IBO. Retrieved 22 November 2007.
- "'School insensitive to 9-year-old's abdominal ailment'". Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "'School bus perv gets 7-yr jail for molesting Jamnabai student'". Retrieved 30 July 2013.