Karel Jaromír Erben
|Karel Jaromír Erben|
Portrait of Karel Jaromír Erben by Jan Vilímek
7 November 1811|
|Died||21 November 1870
|Resting place||Olšany Cemetery|
Karel Jaromír Erben (Czech pronunciation: [ˈkarɛl ˈjaromiːr ˈɛrbɛn]; 7 November 1811 – 21 November 1870) was a Czech historian, poet and writer of the mid-19th century, best known for his collection Kytice (Czech: Bouquet), which contains poems based on traditional and folkloric themes.
He also wrote Písně národní v Čechách (Folk Songs of Bohemia) which contains 500 songs and Prostonárodní české písně a říkadla (Czech Folk Songs and Nursery Rhymes), a five-parted book that brings together most of the Czech folklore.
He was born on November 7, 1811 in Miletín near Jičín. He went to college in Hradec Králové. Then, in 1831, he went to Prague where he studied philosophy and later law. He started working in the National Museum (Národní muzeum) with František Palacký in 1843. He became editor of a Prague's newspaper in 1848. Two years later, in 1850, he became archives' secretary of the National Museum. He died on November 21, 1870 of tuberculosis.
- Písně národní v Čechách (Folk Songs of Bohemia) (1842–1845); contains 500 songs
- Kytice z pověstí národních (A Bouquet of Folk Legends) (1853, expanded edition 1861) (English edition, 2012)
- Sto prostonárodních pohádek a pověstí slovanských v nářečích původních (One Hundred Slavic Folk Tales and Legends in Original Dialects) (1865)
- Vybrané báje a pověsti národní jiných větví slovanských (Selection of Folk Tales and Legends from Other Slavic Branches) (1869)
- Prostonárodní české písně a říkadla (Czech Folk Songs and Nursery Rhymes) (1864); 5-part collection of Czech folklore
- České pohádky (Czech Fairy Tales)
- Sto prostonarodních pohádek a pověsti solvanských v nářečích původních: čitanka slovanská s vysvětlením slov (in Czech). I.L. Kober. 1865-01-01.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
Karel Jaromír Erben
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karel Jaromír Erben.|
- Works by or about Karel Jaromír Erben at Internet Archive
- Works by Karel Jaromír Erben at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- About English translation on Radio Prague
|This article about a Czech writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|