|Member of the New York State Assembly
from the 43rd district
November 2005 – February 2015
|Preceded by||Clarence Norman Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Diana Richardson|
June 3, 1971 |
Crown Heights, Brooklyn
|Spouse(s)||Orelia Merchant Camara|
|Residence||Crown Heights, Brooklyn|
|Alma mater||Xavier University of Louisiana
New York Theological Seminary
Karim Camara (born June 3, 1971) was a Democratic member of the New York State Assembly, where he represented the 43rd Assembly District which includes parts of the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Crown Heights, Lefferts Gardens and East Flatbush. He is the founding and senior pastor of the Abundant Life Church in Brooklyn and was previously the executive pastor of First Baptist Church of Crown Heights. He was first elected to the State Assembly in a November 2005 special election to replace Clarence Norman Jr. In February 2015, he vacated his seat to become executive director of the Office of Faith-Based Community Development.
Early life and education
A native of Brooklyn, Camara (born Karim Abdur-Razzaq) spent most of his childhood living in the Assembly District he now represents. He also spent formative years both in Queens and on a farm in Westtown, New York (Orange County).
He graduated from Brooklyn Friends School in 1988. He went on to attain his B.A. in English Literature and Chemistry from Xavier University of Louisiana and a Masters of Divinity from the New York Theological Seminary.
Early career and personal life
He was the fundraising director for the Cush Campus Schools in Brooklyn of which his mother is a founder and the principal.
Camara resides in Brooklyn with his wife Orelia E. Merchant, an assistant US attorney and their two children.
Karim Camara (DEM) ... 8,411 Geoffrey A. Davis (IND) ... 1,818 Kenneth E. Cook (REP - CON) ... 1,093
- "State Assembly: Karim Camara (D-WFP), District 43". Capitol Info. Archived from the original on March 29, 2011. Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- "Assembly Member Karim Camara (NY)". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- "Assembly District 43, Karim Camara: Biography". New York State Assembly. Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- "Abundant Life Church". Abundantlifeny.com. Retrieved January 4, 2011.
- McKinley, Jesse (February 20, 2015). "Cuomo Sets Special Election to Fill Grimm's Seat". The New York Times. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "BFS Karim Camara ’88 "
- "Orelia Merchant and Karim Camara". The New York Times. August 21, 2005.
- "Special Election Results, 43rd Assembly District: November 8, 2005" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. 2005. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 7, 2006" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 14, 2006. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 4, 2008" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 4, 2008. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 2, 2010" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 13, 2010. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Brooklyn Star on Camara's State of the District
Clarence Norman Jr.
|New York Assembly, 43rd District