Karl Stefanovic in 2009
12 August 1974 |
Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia
|Alma mater||Queensland University of Technology|
National Nine News
In 1996, Stefanovic took up a position with TVNZ as a reporter for One Network News in New Zealand. In 1998, Stefanovic returned to Australia with a job reporting and presenting for Ten News in Brisbane, and also acted as a fill-in news presenter for Ron Wilson in Sydney.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
In 2000, Stefanovic moved to the Nine Network as a reporter and back-up presenter for National Nine News in Brisbane. He received a Queensland Media Award for Best News Coverage for his report on the Childers backpacker hostel fire in 2000. His reports on the 2001 Warragamba bushfires from Sussex Inlet in January 2002 led to his appointment to Nine's Sydney newsroom, and he was involved in the coverage of the 2003 Canberra bushfires.
In February 2005, Stefanovic replaced long-running Today host Steve Liebmann and currently co-hosts the program with Lisa Wilkinson. He has been a fill-in host on A Current Affair for Tracy Grimshaw. In 2006, he participated in the Nine Network reality television show Torvill and Dean's Dancing on Ice. He eventually made it to the grand final of the show, but was beaten by Jake Wall by a viewer poll. Since 2008, he has hosted the Nine Network's Carols by Candlelight with Lisa Wilkinson replacing longtime host Ray Martin.
In 2011, along with his hosting role at Today, he is a contributing reporter on 60 Minutes. More recently, Stefanovic began hosting a Sunday evening edition of A Current Affair (ACA Sunday). In December 2011 Stefanovic was a crew member aboard racing supermaxi yacht Investec LOYAL when it won line honours in the 2011 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. Stefanovic hosted the Nine Network's evening reports on the 2012 London Olympics.
In December 2013, Stefanovic was a crew member aboard racing supermaxi yacht Perpetual Loyal in the 2013 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, with his other celebrity crew members, Larry Emdur, Guillaume Brahimi, Tom Slingsby, Phil Waugh and Jude Bolton.
In October 2015, Stefanovic hosted television panel show The Verdict on the Nine Network. The weekly show mixed elements of successful programs The Project and Q&A but courted controversy with its line-up of panelists.
Stefanovic was born in Darlinghurst, New South Wales to a Serbian-German father and an Australian mother. His younger brother, Peter Stefanovic, is a Nine News presenter and reporter and Weekend Today host.
Karl met journalist Cassandra Thorburn at a party in Rockhampton in 1995 and later married. Together they have 3 children. In September 2016, it was revealed that Stefanovic had separated from his wife after 21 years.
|2016||Independence Day: Resurgence||Himself - Reporter||Movie (scene cut)|
|Great Barrier Reef||Himself - Presenter||3 episodes|
|2011||The Jesters||Himself||Go for Gold (#2.8)|
|2010||A Current Affair||Himself - Reporter||Episode dated 22 March 2010|
|2009||Australia's Funniest Home Videos||Himself||20 Year Special (#20.8)|
|2008||Hole in the Wall||Himself - Brains Team Captain||Brains vs. Brawn (#1.6)|
|2007||A Current Affair||Himself - Fill-in Host||Episode dated 27 August 2007|
|20 to 1||Himself||50 to 01: Great Movie One Liners (#4.10)|
|Temptation||Himself - Contestant||2 episodes|
|2006||Torvill & Dean's Dancing on Ice||Himself||8 episodes|
|Bert's Family Feud||Himself - Team Captain||3 episodes|
|2005||The Price Is Right||Himself||Episode dated 24 October 2005|
On November 15, 2014, Stefanovic revealed in an interview with Fairfax Media that he had been wearing the same suit on-air every day for a year, "except for a couple of times because of circumstance," as what he claimed to be an experiment in sexism. He claims that, while his female colleagues receive regular criticism for whatever they wear, nobody noticed his outfit the whole time. He did, however, vary his ties and shirts more regularly than his suit.
- Karl Stefanovic cranks up the karaoke for Girls Just Wanna have Fun at 35th birthday - Sydney Confidential (The Daily Telegraph), 17 August 2009
- Karl Stefanovic biodata, today.ninemsn.com.au; accessed 9 December 2016.
- "Karl Stefanovic hosts ACA Sunday". TV Tonight. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Investec LOYAL race winner as appeal dismissed". Sydney Morning Herald. AAP. 29 December 2011. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- "Sydney to Hobart 2013". Perpetual. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "The Verdict is in: Karl Stefanovic controversial new show tanks in the ratings". Smh.com.au. 2015-10-16. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Stefanovic 'throws tanty' after origin state revealed". Ninemsn. 17 July 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Wide World of Sports website; retrieved 17 November 2014
- Mason, James (2011). Churchie: The Centenary Register. Brisbane, Australia: The Anglican Church Grammar School. ISBN 978-0-646-55807-3.
- "Karl Stefanovic's shock split from wife of 21 years, reports". Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Karl Stefanovic's sexism experiment: Today presenter wears same suit for a year". Sydney Morning Herald. 15 November 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karl Stefanovic.|
- Karl Stefanovic profile at TODAY
- Karl Stefanovic Twitter
- Karl Stefanovic at the Internet Movie Database
Co-host with Lisa Wilkinson
14 February 2005 – present
|Awards and achievements|
|Gold Logie Award
Most Popular Personality on Australian Television
Most Popular TV Presenter