Karpe Diem live 2011 in Gjøvik.
|Also known as||Karpe|
|Members||Magdi Omar Ytreeide Abdelmaguid |
Chirag Rashmikant Patel
Magdi Omar Ytreeide Abdelmaguid of mixed Egyptian/Norwegian origin was born on 3 June 1984 in Oslo to an Egyptian immigrant father and a Norwegian mother from Stryn, Sogn og Fjordane. Magdi's father studied at the University of Oslo, graduating with a bachelor's degree in Asian and African Studies. Chirag Rashmikant Patel of Indian origin was born on 20 July 1984 in Lørenskog. His Indian father immigrated from Uganda and Chirag grew up in Oslo. His mother originates from Gujarat, India. Chirag's father graduated from the University of Oslo with a bachelor's degree in Media and Communications.
Magdi and Chirag first met in 1998 in the Oslo Handelsgymnasium, where they were both studying and making music individually. The duo was formed in 2000 specifically to take part in Ungdommens kulturmønstring (UKM).
Karpe Diem's debut release, Glasskår EP in 2004, was a commercial success and the same-titled single "Glasskår" peaked at #9 on VG-lista, the Norwegian Albums Chart staying for 6 weeks in the chart and becoming certified Gold. Their debut studio album was Rett fra hjertet released in 2006. It reached #10 on VG-lista and sold 18,000 copies. The band got nominated for "Best Album" in Spellemannprisen in 2006 and Karpe Diem won the Norwegian Alarmprisen in 2007. Their 2008 album Fire Vegger was an even bigger success. The album sold more than 30,000 copies and reached #3 in the Norwegian Albums Chart. Aldri solgt en løgn became their third and biggest album topping the Norwegian charts and making them win the prestigious Spellemannprisen award as "Best Hip Hop album" and the single "Ruter" as "Best hit of the year". Other accolades for the album included the official award Bendiksenprisen, Sigval Bergesen d.y.'s honorary "Almennyttige Ærespris" award and international recognition as "Best Norwegian Act" in MTV Europe Music Awards in 2010. They celebrated the award by donating the proceeds to the Red Cross in Groruddalen and giving a free concert for under-18 youth at the Rockefeller in Oslo.
Karpe Diem were invited to perform their song "Tusen Tegninger" taken from the album Aldri solgt en løgn at the National Memorial Ceremony held on 21 August 2011 in the Spektrum, remembering the victims of the 2011 Norway attacks of 22 July 2011 and exactly one month from the event.
The band also attracted media attention when Karpe Diem agreed to sing "Tusen tegninger" and a modified version of "Byduer i dur" in the Oslo Domkirke Cathedral. This same event was also in commemoration of the July 22 2011 Norway attacks Magdi of Karpe Diem is a Muslim and Chirag Patel a Hindu. In part because of the ethnic roots of their families, as well as their importance in Norwegian pop culture, they became key symbols for the sense of union that the Norwegian people felt after July 22 2011 Norway attacks.
They were the recipients of Spellemannprisen 2012 in the category Pop music, for the album Kors på halsen, Ti kniver i hjertet, Mor og Far i døden. In November 2013 Karpe Diem was honored with the P3 award on the radio station P3s first music award show, P3 Gull at Sentrum Scene in Oslo.
Karpe Diem are often joined in their concerts with the band "Something Sally" and by DJ Marius Thingvald. In addition, a string orchestra joins in their performances. They have built a reputation of being one of the most active live bands in the country. They are also well known for their collaborations with a great number of other Norwegian artists like Definite, OnklP, RSP, Apollo, DJ Don Martin, Emire, Jesse Jones, Vinni, Gatas Parlament and others.
- 2008: Spellemannprisen in the category "Hip hop", for the album Fire Vegger
- 2010: Spellemannprisen in the category "This years spellemann"
- 2012: Spellemannprisen in the category "Pop music", for the album Kors på halsen, Ti kniver i hjertet, Mor og Far i døden
- 2013: P3 Gull in the category "P3 Prize"
- 2016: P3 Gull in the category "Live Artist of the Year"
- 2016: P3 Gull in the category "Song of the Year", for the single "Lett å være rebell i kjellerleiligheten din"
- 2016: Spellemannprisen in the category "Urban", for the album Heisann Montebello
- 2016: Spellemannprisen in the category "Album of the Year", for the album Heisann Montebello
- 2017: P3 Gull in the category "Live Artist of the Year"
|2006||Rett fra hjertet||10|
|2010||Aldri solgt en løgn||1||4x Platinum|
|2012||Kors på halsen, ti kniver i hjertet, mor og far i døden||1|
- 2004: Glasskår EP
|2006||"Piano"||12||Rett fra hjertet|
|2008||"Under overflaten"||8||Fire vegger|
|2010||"Ruter" (featuring Andreas Grega)||2||Aldri solgt en løgn|
|2012||"Her"||7||Kors på halsen, ti kniver i hjertet, mor og far i døden|
|"Påfugl" (featuring Yosef Wolde-Mariam)||12|
|"Toyota'n til Magdi"||20|
|2015||"Lett å være rebell i kjellerleiligheten din"||3||Heisann Montebello|
|"Hvite menn som pusher 50"||8|
|2017||"Rett i foret"||4
- Aahlin, Audun Kjus (2013-11-25). "Karpe Diem". Biography (in Norwegian). Store Norske Leksikon. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Åmotsbakken, Tormod Kvithyld (2013-12-14). "Det var nærmest forventet at du skulle være voldelig, poppe piller, røyke ditt og datt" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Bjørnstad, Malini Gaare (2012-07-22). "Jeg så bare datteren min for meg da jeg sto på scenen" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "On the P3 award". P3.no. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Rødahl, Mathias (2013-03-10). "Frysningframkallende maktdemonstrasjon fra Karpe Diem" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- NorwegianCharts: Karpe Diem Discography
- "VG-lista - Topp 40 Album uke 17, 2017". VG-lista. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "VG-lista – Topp 20 Single uke 51, 2017". VG-lista. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "VG-lista – Topp 20 Single uke 50, 2017". VG-lista. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karpe Diem.|
| Recipient of the Spellemannprisen
as This year's Spellemann
| Recipient of the best Pop band Spellemannprisen
| Recipient of the lyrics Edvardprisen