This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
McGill in 2010
|Birth name||Kate Laura McGill|
|Born||10 March 1990|
Carmarthen, Dyfed, Wales
|Genres||Alternative, Acoustic, Pop|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, guitarist, pianist|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano|
|Labels||1 Click Music|
Kate Laura McGill (born 10 March 1990) is a Welsh singer-songwriter originally known for her covers of hit songs by artists such as Adele, Paramore, Mumford & Sons, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, The Killers and Maroon 5. In 2011 she released her debut album Replaced.
McGill is best known for her cover of Adele's "Someone Like You", which had over 3 million views as of 6 January 2012. She first reached YouTube stardom with her cover of Bright Eyes' Landlocked Blues in November 2007. Since then, she's had over 30 million views on her channel as of August 2012, which has made her the 13th most subscribed to musician on YouTube.
In late 2011, McGill performed songs from her debut album live in 34 Caffè Nero stores across the U.K. She has been played on BBC Radio 2 since December 2008. During her career McGill has uploaded over 100 videos with over 8 hours of footage, with strangers from around the world covering her original songs. In late 2010 McGill beat over 2000 competitors to win Tesco Entertainment's 1Click2Fame netting her a £100,000 prize. McGill has gathered a growing fan base over the years, Kate has nicknamed her fans 'McThrills', the official McThrills fan page can be found on Facebook.
On 3 November 2012, Kate announced that she would no longer be performing by herself. She stated that she no longer desires to be known as "Kate McGill, that girl that covers songs on YouTube" in a YouTube video published on her main account, Katem3, under the title "My Last Ever YouTube Video." She played a farewell gig on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at Surya in London. Tickets for this event were very limited and were sold out within a very short period of time.
On 22 March 2013, Kate announced she had formed a new band with Daniel Broadley and Carl Jones called 'Meadowlark'. On the same day they released a live version of a track titled 'Family Tree' which focuses on Kate's home life. 'Meadowlark' released their first EP, 'Three Six Five', on 26 May 2014. In September of that year, it was announced on social media that Carl Jones would no longer be part of the band, signifying a fresh start. Kate and Daniel release their first EP as a duo, named 'Dual', on 30 March 2015. Their single 'Eyes Wide' gained popularity through the radio show BBC Introducing, and they performed at Glastonbury on the BBC Introducing stage later that year. In 2016, 'Meadowlark' released the 'Paraffin' EP, followed by two singles later in the year, 'Quicksand' and 'Headlights'. Their debut album, 'Postcards', was released on 30 June 2017.
- Replaced (2011)
- Replaced - The Live EP (2014)
Awards & nominations
|2010||1Click2Fame||Best Online Talent||Herself||Won|
- "Last.fm – Kate McGill". Last.fm. 2009. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- Music Brainz."Releases" MusicBrainz.org. 26 September 2011
- "Someone Like You" by Adele– Kate McGill (Kate McGill upload), retrieved 6 January 2012
- Kate McGill's Youtube Channel, retrieved 7 January 2012
- Robinson, Simon (7 September 2011). "Kate McGill Announces Caffè Nero Tour". Gigs and Festivals Ltd. UK. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- Platform "Kate McGill: ‘I like my shows to be really intimate and quirky…’" platform-online.net 19 October 2011. 
- Yasin, Marya (10 October 2011). "Kate McGill to give Manchester twice the fun on sell-out tour". News Associates. UK. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Why singer Kate McGill will never ditch her loyal followers". Northcliffe Media Limited. UK. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- Tesco Entertainment/1Click2Fame "The Annual Final 2010" 1click2fame.com 7 January 2011.