|Born||Katie Jane Perry
30 December 1980
Life and career
Perry was born in Camden, London, England. In early years, after the separation of her parents, she traveled with her mother and her mother's partner, and lived on four continents (Asia, Europe, Africa and Australia). She now lives in Sydney.
In September 2008, Perry submitted a trademark application for her label, which was formally approved as trademark number 1264761 in the Australian Official Journal of Trademarks, on 29 January 2009. In June 2009, she launched the Katie Perry Studio in Mosman, New South Wales.
In June 2009, a Brisbane firm of intellectual property lawyers, Fisher Adams Kelly, acting for the American pop singer Katy Perry, applied to IP Australia to oppose the new trademark, on the basis of a similarity of names. A hearing with IP Australia was called for 10 July 2009, at which they were to seek an extension of the normal three month time limit within which they may oppose a new trademark.
Some media reports have described this application as a "lawsuit". However, the application to IP Australia is not a lawsuit, and Katy Perry has denied the reports of lawsuits on her blog. On 29 June 2009, Katie Perry posted a personal message to Katy Perry the singer as a video on YouTube, seeking to get past the lawyers and interact directly between the two Perrys, asking that they can both pursue their dreams and wishing the singer well for her upcoming Australian tour.
At a hearing with IP Australia on 10 July 2009, the singer's legal team withdrew their opposition to the Katie Perry trademark.
- Montgomery, James (16 June 2009). "Katy Perry Sues Australian Fashion Designer Katie Perry". MTV Networks. Retrieved 17 June 2009.
- "Ketie Perry". limelife.com. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Australian Official Journal of Trademarks, Vol 23, No 4, 29 January 2009
- Sydney fashion designer defends business against pop star Katy Perry Archived 13 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine., smartcompany.com.au, 16 June 2009; last accessed 5 July 2009
- "Katy Perry v Katie Perry". Teletext. Retrieved 20 June 2009.[dead link]
- Katie Perry's message to Katy Perry 0001, youtube video posted 29 June 2009; accessed 5 July 2009
- Its all over!!! Archived 24 November 2009 at the Wayback Machine., blog entry at Katie Perry's blog, accessed 18 July 2009.