Kay Yow Award
|Kay Yow Award|
|Awarded for||the nation's top women's coach in NCAA Division I basketball who also displays great character off the court|
|Currently held by||Kristy Curry, Alabama|
The Kay Yow National Coach of the Year Award is an award given annually to the women's college basketball head coach in NCAA Division I competition who displays great character both on and off the court. The award was established in 2010 and is named for legendary women's head coach Kay Yow, who coached at NC State from 1975 to 2009 before succumbing to stage 4 breast cancer. Yow was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1987 but still continued to coach until the illness forced her to take a medical leave of absence in early 2009. Yow accumulated over 700 wins as a head coach, and also led the United States women's basketball team to an Olympic gold medal in 1988.
The award is presented to the coach who has exhibited great personal character both as a coach and as a person. A committee of 26 members, ranging from women's basketball analysts, former and current head coaches, and Yow's three siblings (sisters Deborah and Susan, and brother Ronnie), chooses the winner among a field of finalists.
|*||Awarded the Naismith College Coach of the Year the same season|
|Coach (X)||Denotes the number of times the coach has been awarded the Kay Yow Award|
|2009–10||Yori, ConnieConnie Yori*||Nebraska||32–2||NCAA Sweet 16|||
|2010–11||Bollant, MattMatt Bollant||Green Bay||34–2||NCAA Sweet 16|||
|2011–12||Smesko, KarlKarl Smesko||Florida Gulf Coast||29–3||NCAA First Round|||
|2012–13||Semrau, SueSue Semrau||Florida State||23–10||NCAA Round of 32|
|2013–14||Curry, KristyKristy Curry||Alabama||14–16||Did not qualify|
Winners by school
|Florida Gulf Coast||1||2012|
- Clair Bee Coach of the Year Award – a character award given to an NCAA Division I men's basketball coach
- Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award – an annual award given to an NCAA Division I men's basketball coach who exhibits moral character off the court; the award is also presented by CollegeInsider.com
- "Kay Yow National Coach of the Year Award". CollegeInsider.com. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "Inductees into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame – Kay Yow". Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "Kay Yow Award". CollegeInsider.com. 2010. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- Associated Press (6 April 2010). "Nebraska's Connie Yori wins first Kay Yow Award". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "Green Bay women's basketball head coach Matt Bollant named Coach of the Year". Horizon League. 13 April 2011. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "FGCU's Karl Smesko Next on Friday's A-Sun Insider". Atlantic Sun Conference. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 27 February 2013.