||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Genres||Symphonic metal, nu metal|
|Labels||Season of Mist|
|Associated acts||Epica, Leaves' Eyes, Tarja Turunen, Eths|
Kells was a symphonic nu metal band out of Lyon, France. Formed in 2001 by vocalist Virginie Goncalves, guitarist Patrick Garcia, and keyboardist Fabrice Desire. Since then Fabrice has left the band while Julien Nicolas and Laurent Lesina were added as the band's drummer and bassist respectively. They have played at the Metal Female Voices Festival and been main support for Epica and Tarja. They have released three albums. Their first album, Gaia, was produced by AVFP Production and released in 2005, and their second album, Lueurs, was produced by Season of Mist and released in 2009. Their third album, Anachromie, has been released in 2012. In April 2015, Virginie, Patrick (legitimate founders of the project) and Kevin (the last drummer) were forced out of the band.
The band formed in 2001 by Virginie Gonclaves and Fabrice Desire. In 2004 they were given an offer to record an album with AVFP. In 2005 their first album Gaia was released. In order to go on tour with this album they added Jeremie Vinet as bassist and Guillaume Dagnaud as drummer. Because Jeremie was working at the time they also added Laurent Lesina as Jeremie's spare. In 2007 founding member Fabrice left the band because he was about to be a father. Guillaume left later that year for the same reason. Laurent became the full-time bassist and the band replaced Guillame with Julien 'Jano' Nicolas as drummer. In 2009 Season of Mist produced and released their second album Lueurs. They are currently working with Season of Mist on their third studio album, Anachromie, which is expected to be released in 2012.
In 2008 Kells was invited to be support for Epica's French tour. After the release of Lueurs in 2009 they went on tour throughout Europe as a headliner, as Epica main support, and as Tarja Turunen main support respectively. In May 2011, Tarja invited Kells to join her and Leaves' Eyes in Switzerland and Germany. In 2012, they went on tour opening for Tristania along with Sarah Jezebel Deva and Sound Storm.
Kells is a symphonic nu-metal band. They are influenced by nu-metal bands like Korn, Deftones, and Limp Bizkit while adding symphonic elements to the music similar to the ones used by Evanescence and Within Temptation. They have collaborated with French metalcore band Eths on multiple occasions. Eths' lead singer Candice Clot was brought in as a guest vocalist for Kells' song La sphère, from Lueurs. In September 2011 Kells tweeted that Virginie was working on recording two songs with Eths that would be released abroad. All of Kells songs are in French.
- Gaia (2005)
- Lueurs (2009)
- Anachromie (2012)
- Virginie Goncalves - vocals
- Patrick Garcia - guitar
- Laurent Lesina - bass
- Kevin Plutta - drums
- Fabrice Desire - keyboards (2001-2007)
- Guillaume Dagnaud - drums (2004-2007)
- Jeremie Vinet - bass (2004-2007)
- Jean Padovan - drums (2007-2010)
- Julien Nicolas - drums (2010-2012)
- Walschots, Natalie Zina (24 January 2012). "Kells: Anachromie". Exclaim!. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Sonic Cathedral WebZine - Kells Interview". Soniccathedral.com. 2009-05-29. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Metal Female Voices Fest - Day 1 2008". Reflectionsofdarkness.com. 2008-11-06. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Blabbermouth.Net - Revamp And Kells To Support Epica In Europe". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-11-03.[permanent dead link]
- "Band Kells to support Tarja in France concert | TARJA TURUNEN MEXICO". Retrieved 2011-11-03.[permanent dead link]
- Graspop Metal Meeting – Metal Festival. "Kells | Metal band - Metal music | Graspop Metal Meeting 2011 - June 24-25-26 2011". Graspop.be. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Sonic Cathedral WebZine - Kells - Lueurs". Soniccathedral.com. 2009-04-27. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- Kells Official Twitter