Kenmore High School
|Kenmore High School|
|2140 13th Street S.W.
Akron, Summit County, Ohio 44314
|School district||Akron Public Schools|
|Principal||Doug Farris (Interim)|
|Color(s)||Black and Red|
|Athletics conference||Akron City Series|
|Website||Kenmore High School|
Kenmore High School was a public high school in Akron, Ohio. It was 1 of 7 high schools in the Akron Public Schools district. The schools mascot was the Cardinals. They were a member of the Akron City Series athletic conference.
The original Kenmore High School was constructed in 1916. Population in the Village of Kenmore grew rapidly, which resulted in an addition the next year. It was originally part of the Coventry Township District, but was annexed to the Akron Public Schools in 1929. The school housed elementary and high school students for many years. More additions were made to the school in 1952 and 1955. The oldest parts of the school were razed, and the current Kenmore High School was built in 1981.
Kenmore merged with Garfield High School for the 2017-18 school year due to declining enrollment and rising costs. While the new building is constructed at the Garfield site, the combined school will be known as Kenmore-Garfield. Kenmore-Garfield High School opened in the fall of 2017.
Notable alumni and faculty
- Cliff Battles - former NFL player & coach, Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee
- Don Buckey - former NFL wide receiver and member of New York Jets, member of 1975 College Football All-America Team
- Rick Forzano - former Detroit Lions head coach
- Gary Pinkel - former head football coach for the University of Missouri
- Don Plusquellic - longest-serving mayor of Akron
- Tim "Ripper" Owens - former lead singer of Judas Priest
- Mike W. Barr - comic book and mystery writer
- Josh Stewart - Kent state assistant wrestling coach
- "Kenmore High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Garrett, Renee (October 11, 2016). "BOARD VOTES ON HIGH SCHOOL: Plan will merge Kenmore, Garfield". Akron Public Schools. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- Thomas, Monica L. (December 12, 2016). "Akron school board approves Garfield site for high school combined with Kenmore". Ohio.com. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- Armon, Rick & Cottom, Theresa (November 7, 2016). "Akron councilman urges school board to adopt "Kenmore-Garfield" name for new high school". Akron Beacon-Journal/Ohio.com. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
|This Summit County, Ohio school article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|