Laikipia local elections, 2013
Local elections were held in Laikipia County were held on 4 March 2013. Under the new constitution, which was passed in a 2010 referendum, the 2013 general election was to be the first where there would be election of county governors and their deputies for the 47 newly created counties. They were also the first general elections run by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission(IEBC) which released the official list of candidates.
|Irungu, Joshua Wakahora||Kabugi, Josphat Gitonga||The National Alliance||21,561 (57.4%)|
|Kamau, Richard Mburu||Shuel, Joseph Njalis||Agano Party||1,883 (5.0%)|
|Kiunjiri, Festus Mwangi||Gichuhi, David Maina||Grand National Union||10,889 (29.0%)|
|Muriithi, Ndiritu||Putunoi, Jane Tingis||United Democratic Forum Party||3,257 (8.7%)|
The following are some of the candidates who made public their intentions to run:
- Mwangi Kiunjuri - MP for Laikipia East Constituency and assistant minister for Public Works
- Nderitu Mureithi - MP for Laikipia West Constituency and assistant minister for Industrialisation
- Joshua Irungu - a community development specialist
- Mburu Kamau - Businessman
- "Kenya to hold polls in March 2013, says elections body". The Citizen. 18 March 2012. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 20 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-02.
- Mwakilishi.com "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Development comes ahead of party politics in Laikipia". Daily Nation. 7 January 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2013.